Underground electrical conduit bringing water to the house

Users who are viewing this thread

Hard-Knocks

Reaction score
We upgraded from a 100 AMP Service to a 200 AMP Service. New wires were needed from the pedestal in the backyard to the meter on the house. The contractor placed Schedule 40, 3" electric conduit and placed a pull wire for the utility company. The problem is that location of pedestal ponds water and now water travels through the conduit to my house and floods my crawlspace. I completed some research and found products such as Polywater Foam Duct Sealant that could hopefully seal it.

Two Questions: 1) When I do any minor electrical work in my house I always flip the breaker. I do not have a way to turn off the electricity at the pedestal. I can dig down with a shovel until I hit the conduit and work my way towards the pedestal, and then dig around the area were the wires enter the conduit. Then with some rags and hand tools prep the opening. Is this safe? I am assuming that I need to call the utility company and have them shut the power down at the pedestal.

2) How would you recommend sealing the conduit, what procedure or product do you recommend.

Thanks!

PS I have already sealed the crack in the crawlspace where the water was coming in at. I just do not want the water coming to my house and finding another way to get in.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
"The problem is that location of pedestal ponds water and now water travels through the conduit to my house and floods my crawlspace."

Are you saying that water actually enters the inside of the conduit?

Hard-Knocks

Reaction score
"The problem is that location of pedestal ponds water and now water travels through the conduit to my house and floods my crawlspace."

Are you saying that water actually enters the inside of the conduit?

Yes. Before the trench was cut, the crawl space was dry. Now when it rains the crawl space takes on water.

Hard-Knocks

Reaction score
The crawl space has some cracks but water never got to it. Now the conduit brings water to the house. I did not see it installed. But do know that after a rain the trench became completely filled and would take days to go down.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you sure the water is getting inside the conduit? My guess is that the disturbed soil that is the trench is now acting like a French drain.

Hard-Knocks

Reaction score
Are you sure the water is getting inside the conduit? My guess is that the disturbed soil that is the trench is now acting like a French drain.

I am not certain of the water is entering the conduit, I assume that it is. He used a piece of machinery to back fill and compact. The area around the pedestal was done with a shovel.

Does anyone from the community have any suggestions for addressing the issue?

Hard-Knocks

Reaction score
I am not sure if water is entering the conduit, I assume it is. I was not there, but he used some machinery to back fill and compact when it was still wet. I am assuming a mini excavator. The area by the pedestal was done with a shovel.

Does anyone from the community have any suggestions for fixing the issue? I presented what I was planning on doing but not sure if there are better ideas. The soil seems to have a clay content.

Reach4

Reaction score
The conduit may go through the wall and into the ground a short distance. Then it can switch to buried insulated wires. A sensitive metal detector could give info. Steel conduit?

It may be that you could dig near the house, and apply some compound around the wires and the open conduit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks