Is my sub panel location OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kubstix

Reaction score
I bought my house about 6 years ago and my inspector did not say anything nor put anything in his report about this subpanel being a violation. I am asking now because I am upgrading this guy from a 60a to 100a mainly because I need more spaces.

IMG_20180628_201057.jpg

IMG_20180628_201108.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
May have been grandfathered. Today's code requires 6'5" high, 30" wide, 36" deep working space in front of panel.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Most home inspector knew very little on electrical requirements and only a licensed electrical inspector from your local jurisdiction can approve this. Any upgrade would be concernedly cautious. Need a picture of the main panel and all breakers including this one. The location is questionable.

What size wire is it from main panel?
What are you adding that you need more breakers?
What size service at the main panel?
Do you know if it was a licensed electrician who installed this subpanel. There is a sticker on the door. Is it a company logo advertisement?

Last edited:

Kubstix

Reaction score
Most home inspector knew very little on electrical requirements and only a licensed electrical inspector from your local jurisdiction can approve this. Any upgrade would be concernedly cautious. Need a picture of the main panel and all breakers including this one. The location is questionable.

What size wire is it from main panel?
What are you adding that you need more breakers?
What size service at the main panel?
Do you know if it was a licensed electrician who installed this subpanel. There is a sticker on the door. Is it a company logo advertisement?

1. Wire is a 6/3 now for 60a but I have 2-2-2-4 AL ran ready to replace
2. Mini Split AC Unit and another 12/2 up the attic to replace my central air with future heat pump (heat wire). And for future.
3. Service is 200 amp with a 60 amp breaker to subpanel. Replacing 60a with 100a breaker.

Have a Square D QO 24 space 125amp ready to put in. It's not really a whole lot bigger but a few inches each side.

No idea who installed the panel as no marking on the panel. Electrician and inspector I talked to both said they are not sure if that classifies with this.
Exception: In existing dwelling units, service equipment or panelboards that do not exceed 200 amperes shall be permitted in spaces where the headroom is less than 2.0 m (6 and 1/2 feet)

This was part of an addition put on the house in 1991 (subpanel).

IMG_20180610_165208.jpg

IMG_20180610_164329.jpg

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Good point. The exception is in the NEC but not IRC (PA follows IRC interpretation of NEC for dwellings) so no simple answer. In the end it is what the inspector allows.

Kubstix

Reaction score
Good point. The exception is in the NEC but not IRC (PA follows IRC interpretation of NEC for dwellings) so no simple answer. In the end it is what the inspector allows.

Yeah I just really can't get an answer from anyone which is why I came here. I think I am going to go ahead and replace it. Panel is easily accessible without an issue. May not be the easiest to work on as I will have to sit indian style but it is what it is. We allow panels in crawl spaces in PA, so how could this be even remotely close to worse?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to run the numbers using this site reference. For square footage of the home for this sub panel is to service I would use at least 50% of your current total home size assuming the main panel is providing power to the expanded area.
https://www.thespruce.com/calculating-subpanel-loads-1152758

Double check that your #2 wire will fit properly in the 100 amp breaker in the main panel. I looked at the Schneider web site but could not find any info but I'm sure it is listed somewhere.

This is for the Homeline series, not the QO series.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-100-Amp-2-Pole-Circuit-Breaker-HOM2100CP/100156187
SchneiderCustomerCare
  • badge.jpg
April 30, 2018
Hello Lee,
The HOM2100CP will accept 1 wire per lug: (1) #4 AWG - 2/0 kcmil Aluminum or Copper.
Regards,
Customer Care Center
Was this helpful?helpful0unhelpful0

Kubstix

Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to run the numbers using this site reference. For square footage of the home for this sub panel is to service I would use at least 50% of your current total home size assuming the main panel is providing power to the expanded area.
https://www.thespruce.com/calculating-subpanel-loads-1152758

Double check that your #2 wire will fit properly in the 100 amp breaker in the main panel. I looked at the Schneider web site but could not find any info but I'm sure it is listed somewhere.

This is for the Homeline series, not the QO series.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-100-Amp-2-Pole-Circuit-Breaker-HOM2100CP/100156187
SchneiderCustomerCare
  • badge.jpg
April 30, 2018
Hello Lee,
The HOM2100CP will accept 1 wire per lug: (1) #4 AWG - 2/0 kcmil Aluminum or Copper.
Regards,
Customer Care Center
Was this helpful?helpful0unhelpful0

Will check on breaker accepting my wire. I did get the HOM2100CP as well. I would say this subpanel is going to be accepting near 50% for sure if not more. I will have 2 mini split units and one central air heat pump coming off this and minor stuff like outlets, lights in the expanded section (about 1200-1400 SQ FT from subpanel). Main Box will be powering a bunch of lights, outlets, water heater, well pump, sewage pump, entire kitchen to around 1600 SQ FT. I would be more inclined to say the subpanel will be using more power than the main at the constant electricity. Main definitely powers more things but won't be all running at the same time compared to heating/cooling units from subpanel.

Thank you so much both of you for responding.

Kubstix

Reaction score
You cannot use 2 AWG AL for 100A, in your application it's 90A max.

Well, wire is already ran. It's only a 18 foot run. I guess I will just settle for exchanging the 100a with a 90a. I will check with my electrician though, I think my area allows 100a on 2-2-2-4. Honestly this 60a panel would probably handle all of what I am trying to do. My issue is with spaces rather than amps. Even with 2 mini splits and central heat pump I am looking at 30-35 amps heating with all of them running simultaneously. I am going a bit overkill on this but it is what it is.

Right now it is powering
Sunroom Baseboard Heat (Won't be used when Mini Split is installed in this room)
Master Bedroom + Bathroom Baseboard Heat (Also won't be used as central heat pump will take over here)
Sunroom Lights + Recepitcles
Master Bedroom + Bathroom Lights + Recepticles
Central Air Outdoor Unit
Central Air Indoor Unit
Outside Recepticle

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks