Cast Iron Tub 30"x60" recommendations please

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a cast iron tub, 30"x60". Looked at the Kohler tubs (they only make 4 in that size), but the problems many many people have had trying to keep the non-slip on the bottom of those has me looking for another manufacturer. I like Kohler's Bellwether because it provides a lot of floor area and maximizes shower space.

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/bellwe...athing/429145.htm?skuId=415324&brandId=656446

What tub do you like? I'm all ears, thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think Kohler makes the best cast iron tubs. The tubs that they are having issues with for non-skid............how old are those? These are indestructible tubs. Once they are installed, they outlast the home they are in. Just saying, they last a long time.

Reaction score
I don't know how old the tubs are, but I agree Kohler's seem the nicest and I want a cast iron tub for all the reasons you mentioned. The reviews vary from many years old, to videos of people trying relentlessly to clean Kohler's non-slip surface that were posted to YouTube in 2017.

I think I'll try to call Kohler and ask them directly about it. Maybe they've changed the "sandblasting" process that they use to create the non-slip sections of the floor of the tub. I recently laid hands on one in Lowes a week ago, and I can see how that extremely fine, roughed up surface would be a real pain to get clean after your dirty feet step in on it.

The tub I removed was from 1959; if the gophers hadn't pushed dirt up under the tub and there wasn't a foot rusted off I'd consider having it be refinished. But for similar cost, I can just buy a new tub. So that's where I'm at.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks