Just did something VERY STUPID. Flushed burnt food down the toilet and now its clogged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Miami292

Reaction score
Just what the title says -.- The toilet isnt completely clogged though. I noticed that if I hold down the flush handle, then the toilet empties completely. But when I try doing this more than 1 time in a row, then the bowl just fills up and water and the water goes down very slowly. I tried using a plunger, but that did not work. I poured some chemical drain opener in there, and let it sit for a couple hours but that did not work. And yesterday I bought an auger, and Im not entirely sure if I used it properly. But I got the auger down about 1 foot, I want to say, and then I felt some resistance and couldnt get past the resistance. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME. TY.

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a 5 gallon bucket or plastic trash container. Pour a much water as you can readily lift from as high as you dare as fast as you dare. That may wash your clog away.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-and-plunger.9878/ #2 on plunging technique.

Auger should go more than a foot. Turn it as you push.

You can call a pro... an hour or so, and problem done. Or you can pull the toilet yourself, and use your auger on the open hole. At that point, if you had been thinking of replacing the toilet with a newer unit, you would be part way there. Most people with good newer design toilets seldom need a plunger.

Putting the toilet back on, you need new wax. Search out discussions including ones that mention shims.

Also, stop with the chemicals.

Last edited:

Miami292

Reaction score
Get a 5 gallon bucket or plastic trash container. Pour a much water as you can readily lift from as high as you dare as fast as you dare. That may wash your clog away.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-and-plunger.9878/ #2 on plunging technique.

You can call a pro... an hour or so, and problem done. Or you can pull the toilet yourself, and use your auger on the open hole. At that point, if you had been thinking of replacing the toilet with a newer unit, you would be part way there. Most people with good newer design toilets seldom need a plunger.

Putting the toilet back on, you need new wax. Search out discussions including ones that mention shims.

When I use the auger, do I have to apply a lot of force when pushing it in? Or should it glide in smooth?

Miami292

Reaction score

I THINK YOU SOLVED MY PROBLEM. I took a large container, filled it with BOILING water and poured it down my toilet. At first it didnt work, but after 6 tries I think the problem is solved. I was able to flush my toilet 4 times in a row, and all 4 times the water went down normally.

Im going to keep flushing, but does that mean the food is out of my toilet now? Or is it possible that my toilet is still clogged, just further down? THANK YOU SO MUCH

Reach4

Reaction score
Im going to keep flushing, but does that mean the food is out of my toilet now? Or is it possible that my toilet is still clogged, just further down? THANK YOU SO MUCH
\
I am glad it is working. It is probable that the food kept moving down the line successfully.

Watch for any backups into a tub or shower, but you are probably fixed permanently.

I would have rather you tried cold water. Boiling water could melt wax. But you are probably OK.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Water is the ultimate solvent. Your food just needed some time to soften up and break up. Happens with turds too for me with one junk AS one piece $500 toilet I own. Get a dog for burnt food. Or a compost pile. If in an apartment complex, toss it out the window at night, the birds and raccoon's will be thrilled.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That much boiling water might have melted your wax ring seal! If you start to smell sewer gasses leaking, you'll need to replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks