1992 Ao Smith water heater. Pilot won't stay lit. Replaced thermocouple with universal... Advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
the burner is clean enough to eat off.
Should I bother trying to find the stock thermocouple?
Should I bother trying to replace the gas valve?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have the time.
If you have the money.
If you have the tools.
If you don't need a hot shower next few days.
Yes, fix it and tell us how it went.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Funny how people have water heaters lasting over 20 years and never tested or replaced the T&P valves

When I used to inspected post office boilers and unfired vessel inspections I would fail over 90% because of lack of maintenance.

I also would not make any repairs to any pressure vessel or boiler I failed as I felt that would be a conflict of interest

Thankfully boilers and pressure vessels are inherently safe but when they do fail that is when expert witnesses come into the picture

Here is an example of a case I was hired for

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...ously-burned-hunts-point-apartment-fdny-says/

This was a another case

https://www.leagle.com/decision/innyco20130801255

On cross examination the housing authority lawyer asked me about my qualifications figuring he would discredit me in front of the jury and he made the mistake asking me why I was an "expert"

So I stated I was federally certified for unfired pressure vessels and low pressure boiler inspections , I was a federal certified stationary engineer for for 90 Church street ., I was offered a Job at the NYCHA in the early 1980's s for $87,000 a years as chief supervisor mechanical installations and later the same year gas pining installation inspector for $92.00 a year which I turned down both offers

When I joined the navy when I was 17 I maintained the boilers 1,500 PSI super heated steam and had passed 3 master plumbers exam and was certified as a class A journeyman to work any place in the USA or Canada and I was the only plumbing inspector for the postal service besides boiler inspections

Never give all the information at a deposition wait until the opposition asks the qualifying questions and then smile as he /she opened Pandora's box . . Always hold back information then lower the hammer in front of the judge and jury

One lawyer asked "Are you getting paid to testify" I said " Yes" he asked "how much" I said "Not enough" the judge said "The witness will answer the question" so I l said "only $2,800 a day plus expenses and I am here going on 3 days" and Smiled

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks