How much to tighten stem after replacing washer in compression faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Garn

Reaction score
I've replaced the flat washer on the end of the bathtub's hot water valve stem assembly many times, with the new washer lasting anywhere from three to twelve months before starting to drip again. The seat isn't replaceable, but I've dressed it as best I can. I'm guessing that the key variable is how much I tighten the valve stem after replacing the washer, but until now I haven't thought of keeping notes on how much I tightened it each time. My working theory is that I should tighten it as little as possible to prevent immediate drips, as this makes the faucet handle easiest to turn and, I assume, puts the least pressure on the new washer as it is turned to open and close the water flow. On the other hand, if it's barely tight enough, I wonder whether it will allow drips to start sooner and perhaps erode the washer and/or the brass faster. It also seems difficult to tell right away when the stem is tight enough to stop actual leakage, as the faucet will drip occasionally for a while after being run just from residual water, not from an actual leak.

Is there a good rule of thumb for how much to tighten the stem, such as by hand and then another 1/x turn?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a good rule of thumb for how much to tighten the stem, such as by hand and then another 1/x turn?
Until I read that sentence, I thought I understood what you were saying.

Are you bringing a wrench into the question?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks