Switching/Changing a Breaker Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Music Junkie

Reaction score
Hey all:

I am installing some outdoor receptacles in my back yard. I would like to use a 20A breaker, if possible. I can do all of the wiring up to the service panel, but I get a bit nervous at that point. I have attached a pic of the current panel layout. My question is if I could replace the single 15A breaker in the middle (bottom lights and plugs) with a double 20A. Since the panel is full, I am trying to find an opening, and it seems like it might work. I just don't know if it is proper to do so. Any help would really be appreciated.

Service Panel.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Before you can change the breaker to a higher amperage, all of the wire in the existing circuit must be rated for it. Normally they would not have used a 15A breaker if the wire was rated for 20.

Akagis_white_comet

Reaction score
Hey all:

I am installing some outdoor receptacles in my back yard. I would like to use a 20A breaker, if possible. I can do all of the wiring up to the service panel, but I get a bit nervous at that point. I have attached a pic of the current panel layout. My question is if I could replace the single 15A breaker in the middle (bottom lights and plugs) with a double 20A. Since the panel is full, I am trying to find an opening, and it seems like it might work. I just don't know if it is proper to do so. Any help would really be appreciated.

View attachment 46217

No, you cannot do so. Uprating a breaker means it will allow more current to pass along wiring that is NOT heavy enough to do the job. HOWEVER, a duplex 15A breaker will allow you to add the desired exterior outlets in the manner you wish.

Unless I personally did the wiring beforehand, I would not risk upsizing a breaker based on someone else's judgement. My last home had bare HOT wires in a metal box to connect two outlets together. That was when I started redoing it from basement to attic.

Moral of the story: Don't assume that the previous owner had a brain. They might have fried it already ;)

Stuff

Reaction score
You should be able to get a 15-20 tandem breaker to replace the single 15.

Too many different branded breakers in that panel so I wonder if the whole panel needs replaced. How many other issues are hidden?

Music Junkie

Reaction score
You should be able to get a 15-20 tandem breaker to replace the single 15.

Too many different branded breakers in that panel so I wonder if the whole panel needs replaced. How many other issues are hidden?

I just read about the 15-20 tandem breaker a few minutes ago, and was thinking it might be a good way to go. I understand the concern in upping the current through existing lines. Does not sound like the right thing to do. On the topic of different branded breakers, could I replace them in kind with same branded breakers? Is it safer that way?

Music Junkie

Reaction score
Moral of the story: Don't assume that the previous owner had a brain. They might have fried it already ;)[/QUOTE said:
If the things I have come across in this house in the past are any indication, I completely understand that moral.....

Thanks for the response.

Stuff

Reaction score
On the topic of different branded breakers, could I replace them in kind with same branded breakers? Is it safer that way?
Take a look at the label on the panel. It should state what types of breakers are allowed. The safety aspect of mixing brands is debatable as mostly what it means is that they were not verified and tested in a lab to work with your panel.

Norcal01

Reaction score
The panel looks like a Challenger, who are no longer in business so a UL "classified" breaker will have to be found, Eaton does make them, but that SQ D Homeline GFCI spa breaker is not classified to be used in any competitive make of panel, they can only be used in Square D Homeline loadcenters, circuit breakers are UL listed to be used in the same manufacturers panels, UL does classify some manufacturers breaker to be used in competitive makes of panels, the whole thing can get very confusing because companies going out of business, being acquired by other firms, name changes, & so on.

As others have said, do not just swap a 20A breaker in place of a 15A, a 15-20A twin beaker is a better choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks