Whole house ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
This is my first post, so thanks for reading. I have been lurking here for about 6 months trying to absorb so much of the information and great knowledge since we got into the serious renovating work on our house. I want to thank all of you in advance for taking the time to review my work and give me guidance and help. I will do my best to learn on my own and interpret the code to the best of my ability before posting, but I'm new to a lot of this work and I know when to ask for help; and that's why I'm finally going to post.

Background: I'm in north San Diego county. House was built in 1960, single level home on a slab, 3 br 2 bath.

We started with the idea when we bought this house that we'd open up the wall between the living room and kitchen to make the place feel bigger. That got done and I started removing the cabinets in the kitchen and when I went and placed my hand on the orignial kitchen sink trap arm that was sticking out of the wall, it literally fell off in my hand. That's when I knew I was about to learn plumbing.

Long story short, the kitchen and both bathrooms are now down to the studs including the ceiling. Now, I'm pretty good with reading and interpreting the code, but I need some advice on what you guys think will be the correct way to run my drain lines. The house (thankfully) has all the drain lines concentrated along about a 15 foot section of the southern wall of the house. The two full bathrooms are back to back, and the kitchen sink drains in from the east side of the master bathroom and that's it.

One of the previous owners ran all new ABS 4" pipe from the street around the house, into the backyard and turning and passing under the foundations footer directly under the master bathroom floor. This is where I will be starting from re-doing everything. My goals for the plumbing system are: big pipes for maximum capacity and least chance of clogs, and simple design.

I'll do my best to explain what is happening. The original house had both closets back to back, both lavs back to back and the tub in the guest back draining into the same drain as the shower in the master. The only thing that is changing that has made this a bit tricky is the master closet is being relocated from directly above the main 4" drain line to the opposite corner of the bathroom. When you sat on the toilet, you were in the north west corner of the room, facing south, and now the closet will be in the south east corner of the room facing west.

I want to vent the master closet up the wall that separates the master from the kitchen, because I would like to put a clean out on the vent line in the nook where the refridgerator goes. And because I'm thinking I might need to somehow tie in the condensate drain for the tankless water heater that will be going on the outside wall of the house directly to the south of the toilet in the master.

I also am unsure if the 2" abs drain from the kitchen that heads directly into the top of the 4x4x4 wye (w/ a 4x2 spigot to step the 2" kitchen drain line to the 4" pipe) is a good idea.

In short, the kitchen sink tie in and how exactly to vent the toilet with regards to doing the condensate drain are my questions.

The guest toilet has a 4x4x3 wye with a 22.5 street elbow on it for the 3" vent heading straight up and out the roof. I went 3" because it slides right up through where the cast iron vent was.

The two back to back lavs will vent up with 2" and turn in the attic towards the 3" vent, and they will drain down and tie into the 4" line from the master toilet, as seen in the pictures via a 4x4x2 long turn. The tub in the guest and shower in master will join together and vent into the attic with a 2" vent and tie into the lav vents and then continue towards the 3" vent. The toilet I"m thinking I'll just run a vent straight up the wall between the master and the kitchen, get it into the attic, and turn and head diagonally across the top of the master bathroom and go straight to the 3" vent and tie into that with a 3x3x3 santee.

I'm sorry for such a long thread and I hope this is easy enough that you guys are willing to help me iron out the correct way you'd tie the kitchen drain into this concentrated mass of connections under the master bath floor. And maybe we can talk about the master closet vent and the condensate drain too.

I'll do whatever I can to make this more understandable. Just let me know. I have all the time in the world to make this right. Thanks again everyone!!!

Attachments

• 20171117_101902.jpg
    20171117_101902.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 20180315_163005.jpg
    20180315_163005.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 20180315_163030.jpg
    20180315_163030.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 20180315_181454.jpg
    20180315_181454.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 20180315_163154.jpg
    20180315_163154.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Reaction score
Here an overview shot of the whole area looking through the kitchen (L shaped cut in concrete in foreground is for 2" kitchen drain turning and heading towards master bath). The wall with the diagonal shear brace is the wall I'd like to have the master closet vent come up through.

Attachments

• 20180315_163600.jpg
    20180315_163600.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 185

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have as far as I can tell looks pretty good.
The toilet should be roughed in 12" from the finished back wall. Normally 12.5" from the studs. Side to side you need at least 30" or 15" from center to the next item, like a wall or cabinet. There needs to be room for the shoulders.
The lavs and the tubs can be vented with 1.5" but 2" works fine too. If I'm wet venting the toilet with the lavs or the tubs then I run 2".
Where is the washer? Sometimes that's a good spot for a condensate drain.
Also 3" works fine for toilets. I jump to 4" when I add the forth toilet. 4" is also fine.

Reaction score
Sorry Terry, I forgot to add that part.... I was trying to keep the original post short, even thought it ended up like a novel. The wall between the kitchen and master and guest bathrooms will be moved 6" into the kitchen. So, the toilet in the master looks really close to the wall, but it's 12.5" from the new walls location and 15.75" from the exterior wall of the house. I added a little on the whole 12" and 15" inch thing just to account for drywall/texture/paint when placing the marks on the ground for the master closet location.

The washer and dryer are in the garage, which is further east than the kitchen. They do not tie into this part of the plumbing. There is a granny flat that was recently built that's attached to the back wall of the garage and the washer/dryer and a basin sink are tied into that new ABS plumbing. There is a door that right would open directly into the side of the new master closet, but I have it taped shut for demo work. I am going to replace that door with a transom window in that south wall of the house so the master bath has a nice window that is high on the wall for some light and ventilation (in addition to the fans - that's a discussion for another day).

So, I was in the house after taking a break from writing the original post, and thought up a new way to route the lav and tub/shower drains, with one each dumping into each different 4" closet drain. But, the kitchen sink and tub/shower drains will come in above the master closet in a 2x2x2 long sweep, which actually seems a bit better to me as they will be above the closet (less chance of "stuff" slapping the inside of the 2" walls where the 4x4x2's are now, and they will help wash the closet line down into the other 4" main line. I'll cut up some more pipe, assemble, snap a few pictures and see where that leaves us. I think it might be better. I'll probably get to this on Sunday.

But here's a question that I had that's been bugging me. The original cast iron that drained the lav's and tub/shower past through the slab completely vertical, then turned about 45 degrees and sloped down pretty steep towards the kitchen sink drain, which is in it's original location. The picture I've attached show the plumbing as it was when I dug it up (except the pipe drain for the tub/shower I already had snapped off from the 2x2x2 long turn in the picture)... but this is wrong right? I feel like everything should have the proper 1/4" to 1/2" fall per foot of grade right? When these pipes were sloping down at a 45, they were like a 1:1 grade (1" fall per 1 inch of pipe). That sort of threw me for a loop when I uncovered that.

Attachments

• 20180219_162155.jpg
    20180219_162155.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 20180220_171836.jpg
    20180220_171836.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok decided to re-do things, tell me what you guys would change. Lav's now drain in to the guest closet 4" line. Tub and shower drain down and are caught by the line comming in from the kitchen. These then drop through a 4x2 spigot adapter right upstream of where the master closet joins in via the wye. The vent comming off the top of the master toilet will run up into the wall. It's not considered a "horizontal dry vent" is it if I keep it more than 45 degress from the wye on the 4" closet pipe to the vertical piece of 2" that will run up the wall?

I thought this would be a better set up to sort of help "wash" the lines for both closets. Both closets will have their own vents.

Attachments

• 20180318_161401.jpg
    20180318_161401.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 206
  • 20180318_161437.jpg
    20180318_161437.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 20180318_161606.jpg
    20180318_161606.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 20180318_161636.jpg
    20180318_161636.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 20180318_161734.jpg
    20180318_161734.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks