Has code regarding PVC for drain/septic changed recently for Chicago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rogue Chevalier

Reaction score
I own a 2 story 4 unit building and recently renovated one of the units. Per code for multi-units, we used all copper throughout, even on the septic and vents. Of the reno, this was by far the costliest part and decimated the budget.

Shortly after, I was walking the neighborhood and stumbled across a new 4 story quad multi-unit being built by Halcyon Homes that was at a stage that was post waste install, pre supply. All of the waste line was PVC, including the vent out the roof. This building would obviously undergo inspection so I was baffled by how this was up to code.

Has something changed to modernize Chicago code? Are there any special exceptions that I'm unaware of that would have allowed this? And more importantly, may I now perform a reno using PVC for the drain side?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT has been a LONNNG time since I was in the Chicago area, but in most areas that do allow PVC/ABS drain lines it is only for 3 stories or less, but if they did it, I am sure they knew what was allowed, since they would not want to do it over.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks