Trouble with Rigid OO-R/12R manual die

Users who are viewing this thread

JackBurton

Reaction score
Hi, first I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading this forum. I'm always learning something new.

I'm trying to thread 1/2" Sch 40 black pipe with a Rigid 36890 1/2" NPT die head. I cannot get the die to even slip on the pipe. The bore of the die measures about .840 while the pipe OD including the black coating is around .853 on the seam. If I sand the coating off, it knocks off two thou. The pipe is Wheatland SureThread which I went far out of my way to buy since I wanted domestic pipe.

Is this a common problem?

JackBurton

Reaction score
If the pipe has a "coating" on it, that has to be removed. The die head is designed for use with "bare" pipe.

Understood, however the pipe is still at .850 after removing the coating and the die guide is .840. The only solution I can think of is to bore or ream the guide oversize on a lathe.

FWI, Wheatland's datasheet calls out a tolerance of +- .016 for this pipe, so it's within their specs. I'm wondering why Rigid makes the guide so tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks