PVC for inside water distribution appears OK to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
The Illinois State Plumbing Code (77 Ill. Adm. Code 980)
seems to be the up to date.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envheal...n Part 890 Plumbing Code A5 Paper 6 18 14.pdf
appendix A page 10 says PVC OK for cold distribution pipe.
page 149/313.
From Definitions:
"Water Distribution Pipe": A pipe within the building or on the premises that conveys water from the water service to the point of usage.​

This seems much more reasonable to allow it on cold than to permit only CPVC instead of PVC on all inside plumbing. I think UPC does not allow PVC for even cold inside, and that seems to imply that PVC could not even come in through the basement wall and then transition inside of the basement. I am wondering on UPC if that short bit of inside PVC is allowed. But this forum is not about UPC.

I know some towns have passed amendments excluding that, but I am talking about the code itself.

What is of interest to me is the piping indoors from a well to the pressure tank being usually allowed to be PVC in Illinois. Am I reading this correctly?

Atomic1

Reaction score
I dont know what your state specific requirements are, but I had that setup for my well tank and upon replacing it, the PVC shattered like glass.....confirming that the stuff gets brittle over time. Definitely didnt go back with PVC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks