No hot water to shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Hnl83

Reaction score
We recently had a bathroom reno done. Prior to the reno, we had issues with getting hot water in the shower and we sadly still are. The sink in that bath is fine, as are all of the other hot water faucets/shower in house. Our water heater is in the basement and the shower is on the second floor. Previously a plumber guessed it was the temp gauge and replaced, and things got better sort of temporarily then more of the same. The reno was a gut and I'm fairly sure at least some new piping was put in. We now have a thermostatic shower system. That plumber guessed if the reno didnt fix it we needed a new water heater. But why would we be getting scalding hot water everywhere else with few issues?? Is that possible? The water heater is regular gas-fired tank from 2010. Any thoughts appreciated...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It is a new shower valve body or did you reuse the old one? Is it a Moen? A common problem with one type of valve, part number 1222. I've seen this happen many times and if you can pull out the valve without damaging it, a good bang on the floor will free up the balancing spool. I had one that the hot side only got warm. Doubtful it has anything to do with the hot water pipes.

https://www.moen.com/customer-support/faq
Posi-Temp/Moentrol
I haven't used my PosiTemp® shower in my guest bath in a while. I now only get hot or cold water but not both.
300 people found this answer helpful
It is possible that the balancing spool is stuck due to non-use. Replace the cartridge to correct this situation. To prevent future issues, use the faucet at least once a week.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Any chance you have sticking heat traps in the water heater? I had a former water heater on which the heat traps would sometimes stick. If the cold tap was opened before the hot then the cold side robbed just enough pressure from the water heater to not unstick the heat trap. If I opened a nearby hot tap then the heat trap would unstick.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Any chance you have sticking heat traps in the water heater? I had a former water heater on which the heat traps would sometimes stick. If the cold tap was opened before the hot then the cold side robbed just enough pressure from the water heater to not unstick the heat trap. If I opened a nearby hot tap then the heat trap would unstick.
He has plenty of hot water at other faucets, therefore it’s not the heat trap.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
What others are suggesting is the part behind the handle and moen names it “temperature limit stop”. It can be set to prevent the single handle from going all the way to hot. It’s to prevent anyone, erlderly or very young, from being accidentally scalded. If you suspect this you can find instructions on line to adjust it.

http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/exploded-parts-views/tl2368eppt.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks