USA standard for tap

Users who are viewing this thread

rony

Reaction score
Hi

Few questions about standard size.

I would like to know what are right dimensions of an accessory that connects to a common bathroom/kitchen tap.

What is the standard in the united states?

is it metric or inch system?

What is the diameter used?

In other words, what are the parameters I need to choose for connection marked as "D" in the attached picture?
Any help is most appreciated, Thanks!
Rony
screwing_small.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some kitchen faucets have male thread, others have female thread. Remove the aerator, and you will be able to tell which one you have.

You can use an adapter to attach something like water filter.

15/16" Male 27 threads x 55/64" male 27 threads.

" means inch.

rony

Reaction score
Some kitchen faucets have male thread, others have female thread. Remove the aerator, and you will be able to tell which one you have.

You can use an adapter to attach something like water filter.

15/16" Male 27 threads x 55/64" male 27 threads.

" means inch.

Thanks for the answer
15/15" & 55/64" is also what I got on other forum as the USA common standard, though I also got answer like:
"Most times everything will be 1/2 in North America inside the house." which is confusing because if it is 1/2 inch it is too small...

Any idea what the 27 stands for?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the answer
15/15" & 55/64" is also what I got on other forum as the USA common standard, though I also got answer like:
"Most times everything will be 1/2 in North America inside the house." which is confusing because if it is 1/2 inch it is too small...

1/2" isn't even an answer for what you were asking. You were asking about threading for aerators, not the size of pipe going to a fixture.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/2" refers to the pipe size, which is the common size for water supply to faucets.

rony

Reaction score
Threads per inch (TPI). That would say the thread pitch is 1/27 of an inch.

Does the pipe size also come in inch? which means that 1/2 is half inch diameter?
In some sites I saw explanation that although it is marked same as inch ", it means something else for pipes

rony

Reaction score
Threads per inch (TPI). That would say the thread pitch is 1/27 of an inch.
Got it, Thanks
It was confusing on Wikipedia because by coincidence, the number of the picture was also 27! so it looked like it had to do with picture number.

Attachments

• tmp.JPG
    tmp.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 758

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the pipe size also come in inch? which means that 1/2 is half inch diameter?
In some sites I saw explanation that although it is marked same as inch ", it means something else for pipes
Pipe size is a nominal size (what you call it). 1/2 inch pipe is close to 1/2 inch, but is usually something bigger than 1/2 OD. The inside can be more or less than 1/2 inch. As far as aerators go, it probably does not help to think about pipe size.

1/4-20 is a common thread for bolts. It is the same thread that is used between a tripod and a camera, even in Israel. That is not related to aerators, but it a thread that you are familiar with.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
My question is this: why do you worry about measurements in inches, if Israel is on the metric system?

Don't try mixing parts in metric with parts in inches.

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is this: why do you worry about measurements in inches, if Israel is on the metric system?

Don't try mixing parts in metric with parts in inches.
Sometimes people want to export a device made to sell in one market to be sold or used in different market. I suspect that is the case here, and Rony is an entrepreneur. Sometimes people want to import and adapt a product made for a different market.

rony

Reaction score
Sometimes people want to export a device made to sell in one market to be sold or used in different market. I suspect that is the case here, and Rony is an entrepreneur. Sometimes people want to import and adapt a product made for a different market.
You got me :)
I want to do it on the american market. Israel is tiny
Thank you all guys for your help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, what we call 1/2" copper pipe isn't really 1/2" OD OR ID! What is standard is the OD so that you can use more common fittings to it. The actual ID is nominally 1/2", but varies by the tubing wall thickness (holding the OD the same, which actually is 5/8"). For example, PEX 1/2" tubing is the same OD as copper, but because of the strength of the material, the ID is significantly smaller than 1/2" - it needs to be thicker to have reasonable strength.

To make things even more confusing, many connections use a tapered pipe thread, but more often, an aerator will use a straight thread which requires a washer to seal. A tapered pipe thread needs pipe dope or PTFE tape to make the seal as you tighten things up, the tapers squeeze and tighten and the pipe dope or PTFE tape fills in the gaps to make the seal. The straight threaded fitting needs a gasket or washer to seal.

PlumbSolve

Reaction score
Most aerator fittings are m24x1mm and m22x1mm.What specifically are you referring to .?
Here in S Africa we use copper pipe which is referred to as 1/2 inch but in reality the od is exactly 15mm. The next size up 3/4 inch is actually exactly 22mm od.

We use parallel fittings which are 1/2 bsp by 14 tpi and 3/4 bsp by 14 tpi.
If you take those sizes you gave for the aerators you will see that even if they are inch or metric they probably will work, they are so close to each other.For example 55divided by 64*25.4mm
is 21.828mm .That is as close as dammit to 22mm.

If you say the threads per inch is 27 that equates to 25.4mm /27=0,94mm I think thats close enough for it to mesh.
In fact I have just realized that here in S Africa we may measure it in metric but originally it is an imperial size.
Unfortunately the States is a bit backward to us here in darkest third world Africa when it comes to measurement;)
Neoperl are the worlds biggest aerator manufacturers . Maybe their website can help you.

Last edited:

rony

Reaction score
Most aerator fittings are m24x1mm and m22x1mm.What specifically are you referring to .?
Here in S Africa we use copper pipe which is referred to as 1/2 inch but in reality the od is exactly 15mm. The next size up 3/4 inch is actually exactly 22mm od.

We use parallel fittings which are 1/2 bsp by 14 tpi and 3/4 bsp by 14 tpi.
If you take those sizes you gave for the aerators you will see that even if they are inch or metric they probably will work, they are so close to each other.For example 55divided by 64*25.4mm
is 21.828mm .That is as close as dammit to 22mm.

If you say the threads per inch is 27 that equates to 25.4mm /27=0,94mm I think thats close enough for it to mesh.
In fact I have just realized that here in S Africa we may measure it in metric but originally it is an imperial size.
Unfortunately the States is a bit backward to us here in darkest third world Africa when it comes to measurement;)
Neoperl are the worlds biggest aerator manufacturers . Maybe their website can help you.

I am interested in the most widely used at the US market, from the answers I got, the most common in the US would be 55/64 inch.
With more explanations I get more confused...
The bottom line is - what should I require from the manufacturer if I want to order aerator? 55/64-27 inch? or should I demand that it will fit certain pipe size?
Example for my confusion, at the attached table 3/4 inch pipe should be 0.75 inch, but nun of the options is 0.75 neither for OD nor for ID...

Attachments

• pipe size OD ID.JPG
    pipe size OD ID.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,530

PlumbSolve

Reaction score
I dont think the two have any relationship what so ever. I would be curious to know the confusion in pipe sizes as well. I think there is a difference in tube and pipe. One measures the OD and the other works off the ID. In terms of copper I think they just compare the OD . In other words steel or galvanised pipe with thick wall thicknesses have an ID that is very close to thin walled copper that is measured on OD.

But taps or mixers or faucets( if you speak funny:)) can have a variety of aerators . I had to make an aerator for a strange mixer the other day. It was actually a rectangular aerator. In my country and I think its the same for Europe and Australia most aerator bodies are held in place by a holder that will be m22 x1mm or m24 x1mm. These differ in male or female. Please explain what you are trying to do.

I have been a plumber for thirty years and to be honest I dont understand most of what is said on the american plumbing forums. It is very foreign
I would suspect Israel would be more similer to Europe and Australia.
I do a bit of manufacturing for the industry and make obsolete parts such as headparts or specialized fittings. We also manufacture adapters for basin mixer spouts and for water purifiers like you show. Explain your product and I may be able to help you

rony

Reaction score
I dont think the two have any relationship what so ever. I would be curious to know the confusion in pipe sizes as well. I think there is a difference in tube and pipe. One measures the OD and the other works off the ID. In terms of copper I think they just compare the OD . In other words steel or galvanised pipe with thick wall thicknesses have an ID that is very close to thin walled copper that is measured on OD.

But taps or mixers or faucets( if you speak funny:)) can have a variety of aerators . I had to make an aerator for a strange mixer the other day. It was actually a rectangular aerator. In my country and I think its the same for Europe and Australia most aerator bodies are held in place by a holder that will be m22 x1mm or m24 x1mm. These differ in male or female. Please explain what you are trying to do.

I have been a plumber for thirty years and to be honest I dont understand most of what is said on the american plumbing forums. It is very foreign
I would suspect Israel would be more similer to Europe and Australia.
I do a bit of manufacturing for the industry and make obsolete parts such as headparts or specialized fittings. We also manufacture adapters for basin mixer spouts and for water purifiers like you show. Explain your product and I may be able to help you
thanks for your answer.
Actually I am interested in the US market. this is why I am asking about inches.
I want to use a common adapter for water purifiers and make some changes on it(can not give details, sorry) .
For this I need to know which is the most common size. Some of the answer I got say it is 55/64 female.
I checked with some factories in china and was surprised that they only have metric. at least those who I checked with.

Which leads me to the next question:
Can it be that 22mm is widely used in the US together with the 55/64? since it is 22mm vs. 21.8mm ... no damage to the inch tap if connecting metric adapter? (I will put this question also separately for american guys answer. They should know best)

PlumbSolve

Reaction score
Here in S Africa the exact filter you show is a 22mm x1mm and 22mm by 1mm thread. But when you measure it ,its about 0,15mm undersize. Thats why I suspect its an imperial size but called metric because its so close. Metric is 60 gegrees and many imperial threads are 55 degrees. I suggest you get a couple of samples of the american product and give it to an engineering shop and ask them to use a vernier and thread pitch guage to determine the correct size.
There is a system called a three wire system to accurately measure threads so you can constantly cut them correct. Otherwise your chinese manufacturers are going to get it wrong. Threads can be forgiving if you give them an undercut on the tolerance ...

rony

Reaction score
Here in S Africa the exact filter you show is a 22mm x1mm and 22mm by 1mm thread. But when you measure it ,its about 0,15mm undersize. Thats why I suspect its an imperial size but called metric because its so close. Metric is 60 gegrees and many imperial threads are 55 degrees. I suggest you get a couple of samples of the american product and give it to an engineering shop and ask them to use a vernier and thread pitch guage to determine the correct size.
There is a system called a three wire system to accurately measure threads so you can constantly cut them correct. Otherwise your chinese manufacturers are going to get it wrong. Threads can be forgiving if you give them an undercut on the tolerance ...
Thanks a lot for the tips.
I wonder where in the US I can get the exact official parameters, so I can Just show it to the manufacturer. So far I got similar answers but some were contradicting. Need official answer...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks