Water heater .. a thanksgiving mystery??

Users who are viewing this thread

oldhouseand74

Reaction score
Good afternoon & thanks in advance for your help & advice

I have an American water heater, “FG” series from 2005.

I recently awoke to my water heater spraying approximately 6 gallons of hot water out of my tpr valve along with significant condensation on the copper water pipe running into it. I replaced the tpr valve, thinking it was broken.

The water heater then didn’t start up. I then replaced the entire manifold with the bfg manifold conversion kit, part number 6910813. This model of water heater has a thermocouple that needs replaced in the case of overheating or malfunction. I was also concerned it was a clogged pilot tube. The BFG conversion manifold covers all these parts. I reconnected everything correctly .

I also cleaned the burner and vacuumed inside the tank prior to the new manifold install.

When I light the water heater I hear condensation inside because the water is cold and condensing onto the burner. I understand this is normal.

The pilot flame is a normal sized blue. When heater is turned to the on position, the flame changes. It becomes large and yellow/orange and sounds like a rocket ship taking off. I waited 12 minutes with the heater firing like this and decided to turn it off & seek your advice.

The water heater is venting correctly. I also have 2 working co2 alarms near the water heater that show no signs of any increase in co2 in the space.

Nothing has changed with the gas lines prior to these issues.

My question is

Is this normal operation for a water heater that hasn’t been turned on for some time or could this be something dangerous. How long should I wait for the burner flame to subside, turn a stable blue and quiet down.

Thank you in advance for your help. I really appreciate it and can’t afford a brand new water heater right now before Christmas or else that would be the first option.

Happy thanksgiving

R

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you turned the knob to "on" position, did the burner come on?

oldhouseand74

Reaction score
When you turned the knob to "on" position, did the burner come on?
Yes, the burner came on strong with large yellow flames. That is the concern. IF those flames will dissapate and the flame will calm or if there is something else going on.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is probably something else going on. A pro will be able to inspect the WH and narrow it down to most possible causes.

Let's start with the WH location, air flow around it, ventilation into the burning chamber, is the chamber clean?
The gas valve, gas supply from the gas company, gas flow, orifice - clean or not?

Things to remember: Yellow flame is usually lack of fresh air into the burning chamber.
Orange flame is usually dust or other contaminates in the chamber.

On the other hand and judging by the age of the WH...you may want to consider replacing it. It's an option that will most likely pay for itself, rather than hiring a plumber and replacing various parts, if not covered by the mfg. Plumbers charge labor you know.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF there's condensation, those drips, depending on where they hit, could affect the flame temperature and color. If the tank was quite cold, I'd let it run through a cycle to see if things clean up once the water gets above the dew point. A 12-year old WH doesn't really deserve a lot of attention.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks