2140 ft pump motor control circuit via float switch..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks I thought about that and unhooked the float switch circuit completely from the SSR and it does the same thing..? Basically it leaks voltage as soon as it is supplied! relay chatters though only when shutting off.
Not unexpected. The unwanted coupling is occurring in the wires and not the switch.

If the float switch had more terminals (such as being a "form C switch" = SPDT), and you could wire the switch to put zero volts across the wires at the switch when not putting 24 volts on the wires, you could probably skip the resistor at the Opto 22.

ronan

Reaction score
Not unexpected. The unwanted coupling is occurring in the wires and not the switch.

If the float switch had more terminals (such as being a "form C switch" = SPDT), and you could wire the switch to put zero volts across the wires at the switch when not putting 24 volts on the wires, you could probably skip the resistor at the Opto 22.

I put this in http://www.grainger.com/product/OMRON-Relay-5ZH13 as a replacement for the SSR and it works good so far..! BOTH SSR's were bleeding voltage even without a thing/no wires even hooked up to the 24vdc activation side of the SSR so it's nothing to do with any wires. There is only 4 inches of 240vac wire between SSR & Relay and they are on separate sides of the box. Just odd both new SSR's have the same fault.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It sounds like you were trying to Switch to little of a load with the SS relay. It does have a minimum load requirement to turn it off. Did you have line and load correct ?

Were you switching the 240vac Power going to the motor ? or a motor controller ?

I would be interested in seeing your wiring diagram.

It is great that you got it going.

Enjoy.

ronan

Reaction score
It sounds like you were trying to Switch to little of a load with the SS relay. It does have a minimum load requirement to turn it off. Did you have line and load correct ?

Were you switching the 240vac Power going to the motor ? or a motor controller ?

I would be interested in seeing your wiring diagram.

It is great that you got it going.

Enjoy.

That makes more sense now! The SSR 240 leg just went to a controller/relay. I was told that the SSR's were not the best thing to use for Inductive loads such as motors and the best route when using it would be to use it to run a larger relay that controlled the motor load. The relay load is probably to little, good to know. I got it fixed now going this other route but in the future I'll know that now.

Not-an-electrician

Reaction score
Help please. I am trying to do something similar, but only 300 feet from pump to tank.
Would somebody please supply a wiring diagram of what this system should look like?

As I understand this discussion, you used a 24V power supply to run to the float switch and back to the relay that is connected to the 110V power to the pump.

Thanks for any help.

Talk slow...I am a physiologist, not an electrician :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes 12 or 24V DC voltage works best for long runs. DC does not bleed across the wire insulation like AC does. You need a 24VDC power supply, a relay with a 24VDC coil that has a set of contacts to make the 115 or 240V go to the pump motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks