Removing exhaust fan housing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jbell1033

Reaction score
Wife wants a new bathroom exhaust fan and I can't figure out how the housing is anchored. There are no screws to back out. I think it was installed, then the ceiling dry wall hung. Any suggestions? I'd be happy with just a cleaning and a new motor. The wife wants me to ask about a complete replace. Thanks, John

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 268

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you access that area from the attic?

Maybe for now, you could shove a cellphone camera into the gap (if that black area is a gap and not black insulation) for a clue.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most likely there are support brackets at the top of it that screw into the ceiling joists. If you need to do it entirely from that side, meaning you don't have access from above, then you will need to carefully cut it into pieces without damaging the wire and the attached duct. I think an oscillating multi-tool fitted with a metal cutting blade would work well.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Many do install directly to the framing and the wallboard is applied over the flange. Often, the replacement units are not the same size as the original, so it will require a repair to the finished ceiling regardless.

Highlander

Reaction score
If you still have the other parts (motor and vented cover) look for a model number or manufacturer, might be able to google the install manual. That will help you know where it’s attached, and as posted above you’ll have to break/cut in in pieces. Also, try to determine where framing (joist or truss) is located by poking with a skinny screwdriver or putty knife, in the gap between the housing and finished drywall.

Jbell1033

Reaction score
No attic. Flat roof. Since the housing is in useable condition I'll clean it up and go with a new motor and cover. The old motor is really gross. Thanks all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks