Post size for fencing

Users who are viewing this thread

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Hello there, I was hoping to get some input from the experts about a fence I'm going to do DIY on. I need to put a fence on my house to keep my neighbors renters from walking up the driveway. These are weekly renters during the summer, so they don't seem to be very respectful of my property. These are 50x100 lots, so there isn't much space for people to walk on their own property to get to the backyard. I've spoken to the owner, but they don't see that it is a problem. Our driveway is right against this property line, so even if we have cars there, they will be walking on our driveway(with boogie boards, and beach chairs) and against our cars to get to their back gate. It has been a frustration for me the whole summer. I will just need a 36 foot fence to extend form their back fence, to the front sidewalk. Question 1: I'm going to put up a wood fence with a shadow box affect, but I want to make sure that I'm selecting a sturdy fence. Any concerns about that? I can't do chain link because that is not approved for the area, and I don't think that Vinyl is as strong as wood.
Question2: I am putting up a 5 ft tall fence, and I have been grappling with either 4x6 or 6x6 for the posts? The only reason I was thinking 4x6, because they are a little lighter to work with, as I'm trying to set them in the ground? I would prefer 6x6 for the additional strength. I worry that the renters will start resting stuff like bikes, and chairs, coolers, and boogie boards on their side of my fence.
Any thoughts?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
4x4 treated posts, every 8', 2' to 3' in the ground will give you all the support you need for a 5' tall fence.

I like to use redwood or cedar boards, screwed onto 2 or 3 treated 2x4 horizontal members between posts (use deck screws).

Make sure you know where you erect the fence (exact property line), or you'll end up in small claim court.

You really can't control what the neighbors hang on their side of the fence, even if you post a sign "don't hang bicycles".

It looks like your neighbor won't contribute anything to the cost of the fence.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Yeah my plan was to have 3 2x4 posts on the 5ft height, and just 2 on the "42inch section near the sidewalk. Thanks for the tip about the deck screws. I think the lumber company was talking about stainless steel screws.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
so the fence got built this weekend. It came out great. I did use the deck screws, and the whole thing looks great. So one thing came up and I wanted to see if folks had any ideas. So the first 15 feet of my fence is 42 inches high ( I could not go higher for the first 15 feet) . the top rail of the fence is 2x6, and probably about 8.5 feet long. My worry is that the height is something that I could see the weekly renters next door sitting on it, or their kids climbing on the top. Any thoughts on how to keep people off of a fence without extreme measures (.i.e ho shaved glass, or barbwire.. :) ) I was trying to think if I could shave 4x4, on a triangle to put on the top there. That would maybe solve the problem. The one worry is that the one section is 8.5 feet long, so if you get 2-3 200lbs sitting on it, I could see it collapse under the weight. I probably shouldn't have made such a long segment, but I didn't want to dig more holes.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
IMG_2675 (1).JPG

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, that looks great.
This is treated wood, not very smart to touch it too much, but to keep away kids or their parents from sitting on the fence, install a scarecrow (just kidding).
Don't put things like broken glass or barbed wire - it will open the door to lawsuits.
Put an amendment in our rental agreement and have your tenants initial it, that the fence is not for climbing or playing.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately we don't rent our place. That house you see on the right side is the one that rents(our neighbors). We will have to keep an eye on the situation, and decide something on the fly. I'm hoping it will not be a big deal, and their renters will be respectful. What typically happens is that 9 out of 10 people will be good, and then one week you will have the family from hell.

JerryR

Reaction score
I’d just remove the top rail to prevent someone from sitting on the low fence. Sitting on the pickets would smart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks