General aesthetic guidelines for running exposed EMT

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel A

Reaction score
Hello folks. DIY guy here and I'm wiring up a workshop at home. The interior of the shop is unfinished with exposed studs. I live in Southern AZ so this structure will likely never be insulated or finished inside.

I was originally going to wire the whole thing with exposed MC (Metal Clad flex) cable but the code seems pretty vague as to whether it needs to be behind finished walls or not. The phrase "protected from physical damage" is a little to open to interpretation for me. So, I've decided to go with EMT and pull wire through.

My question: is there an official or unofficial guideline for how this should look? Instinctively, I'll try to make it look as good as possible by running it along or parallel to studs, etc but when it comes to jogging around obstructions or turning corners, is there a "best practices" set of rules for this? Or is it just, use good workmanship? I've looked around at similar examples and it seems there's is quite a bit of personal preference and style involved.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doing neat work is always a good thing. Sloppy work makes the inspectors want to find something wrong with the job. Find it they will. If you spend time making it looks nice they know at least you're trying to get it right.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't want all that many jogs, or you won't be able to pull the wires through! Pull boxes may be required, and add to the costs and depending on the one you buy, more bends to make so they can be mounted flat on the wall. You want things to run either horizontal or vertical, and avoid diagonals it you want it to look good. A slight error often catches the eye, and can annoy you forever until you either fix it or hide it! Some practice with the bender is called for. Make sure to ream out the ends where you cut so you don't have a lip or burrs.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a fitting called a pull elbow. Using some of those can replace trying to do complex bends. Single bends are easy.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Besure that the metal boxes have the appropriate cover. The typical plastic switch or outlet plates are larger than the metal boxes leaving a lip sticking out on all sides and at the corners. Something can accidently hook onto it and break part of it off. I also causes to have a sharp corner.

upload_2017-10-20_19-38-50.png
upload_2017-10-20_19-50-26.png

genmaster

Reaction score
NEC requires maximum of 360 degrees worth of bends between pulling points. These points can be boxes, enclosures, or condulets. Support your conduit (EMT) every 30" and within 12" of boxes, enclosures, etc. Plumb and level. NEC calls it "Good workmanship". If you surface mount boxes, you can break the little tabs off your receptacle ears. Nicer looking job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks