Scala pump problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

eureka54

Reaction score
I just installed a Scala2 pressure pump.I am on a (closed system) municipal water system.The pump cycles on and off every seven to ten seconds.If I run my sprinkler system or take a shower that lasts longer than 15 minutes the pump lights up a leak symbol on the diagnostic panel.I also have a small expansion tank mounted on the discharge side.I have to pump set to 55psi.My question is,will a CSV stop this pump from cycling and will it keep the leak light from coming on.If it will, which CSV do I get? Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am sorry you are already having trouble with that Scala2 pump. They haven't been out very long, so I don't have a lot of experience, but I can see a lot of things that can go wrong with those pumps. To answer your question, no you can't use a CSV with a variable speed pump like that one. But the variable speed thing is not working, or it wouldn't be cycling like that. The speed is suppose to vary to KEEP it from cycling.

First question is, do you have a check valve in the suction line?

I don't know how the extra expansion tank will effect those pumps. But I have read that they have a little tank built inside the unit itself. I can see where an improper air charge in the internal tank could cause a problem, as it should help cushion the pressure transducer. My recommendation is to check the air charge in the internal tank. Then if the pump is still cycling on/off I would look at getting a warranty credit.

I don't expect those pumps to last very long, but they should at least work when new out of the box. A good jet pump with a regular pressure switch and pressure tank would last 30 years, and adding a Cycle Stop Valve to it would stop the cycling and give you the strong constant pressure like the Scala2 pump is suppose to be doing but is not.

eureka54

Reaction score
I am sorry you are already having trouble with that Scala2 pump. They haven't been out very long, so I don't have a lot of experience, but I can see a lot of things that can go wrong with those pumps. To answer your question, no you can't use a CSV with a variable speed pump like that one. But the variable speed thing is not working, or it wouldn't be cycling like that. The speed is suppose to vary to KEEP it from cycling.

First question is, do you have a check valve in the suction line?

I don't know how the extra expansion tank will effect those pumps. But I have read that they have a little tank built inside the unit itself. I can see where an improper air charge in the internal tank could cause a problem, as it should help cushion the pressure transducer. My recommendation is to check the air charge in the internal tank. Then if the pump is still cycling on/off I would look at getting a warranty credit.

I don't expect those pumps to last very long, but they should at least work when new out of the box. A good jet pump with a regular pressure switch and pressure tank would last 30 years, and adding a Cycle Stop Valve to it would stop the cycling and give you the strong constant pressure like the Scala2 pump is suppose to be doing but is not.
I have the internal tank on the pump set at the correct pressure.I do not have a check valve on the suction line.What purpose does the check valve serve? Thanks again for any info.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am thinking the pump is coming on and off while no one is using water because the "discharge one way valve" is not working. You can't add a check valve after the pump as the controls are internal. But I think the cycling on/off while not using water will stop if you add a check valve to the suction side pipe.

As for the "Leakage alarm" and shutting off after 15 minutes here is what I found. The anti cycling alarm can be turned off. But then you may just cycle the pump to death if you don't know it is happening. And the pump is probably set to run a maximum of 30 minutes, which can also be shut off, see below.

8.3.3 Anti cycling
The factory setting for "Anti cycling" is "off". This function monitors the stops and starts of the pump.
Off: If the pump starts 40 times in a fixed pattern, there will be an alarm. The pump will remain in operation as normal.
On: If the pump starts and stops in a fixed pattern, there is a leakage in the system, and the pump will stop and show alarm 3

8.3.4 Maximum continuous operating time The factory setting for "Maximum continuous operating time" is "off". This function is a timer that can turn off the pump if it runs continuously for 30 minutes.
Off: If the pump exceeds the running time of 30 minutes, the pump will run depending on the flow.
On: If the pump exceeds the running time of 30 minutes, the pump will stop after 30 minutes of continuous operation, and it will show alarm 6. This alarm will always need to be reset manually.

eureka54

Reaction score
I am thinking the pump is coming on and off while no one is using water because the "discharge one way valve" is not working. You can't add a check valve after the pump as the controls are internal. But I think the cycling on/off while not using water will stop if you add a check valve to the suction side pipe.

As for the "Leakage alarm" and shutting off after 15 minutes here is what I found. The anti cycling alarm can be turned off. But then you may just cycle the pump to death if you don't know it is happening. And the pump is probably set to run a maximum of 30 minutes, which can also be shut off, see below.

8.3.3 Anti cycling
The factory setting for "Anti cycling" is "off". This function monitors the stops and starts of the pump.
Off: If the pump starts 40 times in a fixed pattern, there will be an alarm. The pump will remain in operation as normal.
On: If the pump starts and stops in a fixed pattern, there is a leakage in the system, and the pump will stop and show alarm 3

8.3.4 Maximum continuous operating time The factory setting for "Maximum continuous operating time" is "off". This function is a timer that can turn off the pump if it runs continuously for 30 minutes.
Off: If the pump exceeds the running time of 30 minutes, the pump will run depending on the flow.
On: If the pump exceeds the running time of 30 minutes, the pump will stop after 30 minutes of continuous operation, and it will show alarm 6. This alarm will always need to be reset manually.
The pump is not cycling when there is no call for water.Guess I will try to return it as it sounds like a control problem.Thanks for the info.

eureka54

Reaction score
Valveman,I am returning the Scala2 pump.Could you tell me what size and maybe the brand name of a good jet pump?I already have a 2 gallon expansion tank in the line so besides the jet pump and the CSV what else would I need? Thanks for suggesting the jet pump,I think it will be more reliable.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My favorite is a Goulds. A 3/4HP model J7S will do more than the Scala2. The CSV1A is the Cycle Stop Valve you need for that pump. I had rather see a 4.5 gallon size tank, but since you already have a 2.2 gallon tank I would use it. You can get a PK1A kit that has the CSV1A and all the other parts you need to make the regular jet pump deliver constant pressure, you can just get the PK1A less the tank.
https://cpkits.com/collections/frontpage/products/custom-pk1a-pside-kick-kit

eureka54

Reaction score
My favorite is a Goulds. A 3/4HP model J7S will do more than the Scala2. The CSV1A is the Cycle Stop Valve you need for that pump. I had rather see a 4.5 gallon size tank, but since you already have a 2.2 gallon tank I would use it. You can get a PK1A kit that has the CSV1A and all the other parts you need to make the regular jet pump deliver constant pressure, you can just get the PK1A less the tank.
https://cpkits.com/collections/frontpage/products/custom-pk1a-pside-kick-kit
Thank you for the info!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks