Help Needed with 3 way switch wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
Wiring in an extra light is easy... wiring in an extra light on a 3 way circuit? That's more challenging!

The garage has one bulb in the middle... No where near enough light. I plan to add 3 more. Luckily, the ceiling is suspended and partially open, so there is plenty of access and space to run the wire. There are two switches that control this light, one at the door entering the house and one next to the garage door.

The picture below is the current wiring scheme. How do I expand that with 3 additional lights? I'm a visual guy. If someone could draw in the red, white, and grey wires on the diagram, I would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Attachments

• Large-3-way-switch-3.jpg
    Large-3-way-switch-3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 821
  • wiring diagram.jpg
    wiring diagram.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 389

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If your setup is exactly as shown above, just connect to the black and white wire at the lamp fixture with a 14/2 copper wire. This makes the four lights in parallel. Do not connect to the wires that have wire nuts on them, just the other two. You do not have to change anything at the switches

upload_2017-7-27_10-57-39.png

Paul Taylor

Reaction score
Great, very good explanation! One can easily do this wiring after reading this post!!

Jose L

Reaction score
Just make it a parallel circuit by connecting and splicing all your hots(black wire) together and your neutrals(white wire) together so it will share the voltage and all the lights will be equally bright

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks