Hose bibb nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnfin

Reaction score
So how do I get the hose bibb nipple out. If goes into a copper elbow and not fastened to a stud. It needs heat but thats a dangerous proposition in the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_182312667-min.jpg
    IMG_20170722_182312667-min.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 220

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may be able to back it with pipe wrenches or pliers.
Or if worse comes to worse, cut it out, and then solder new fittings for the replacement hosebib. I often have to do a bit of soldering when replacing a hosebib. The insulation comes out before any heat is used in the wall, and a way to put out flames. I carry a spray bottle.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, follow Terry's advice, replace the elbow and don't start a fire.

Also add a block across the two adjacent studs and secure the elbow to the blocking.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I have to solder the fitting isnt that still a flame?
And if you don't, it isn't. Did you give up on trying to remove the nipple from that drop ear elbow?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I have to solder the fitting isnt that still a flame?

Careful plumbers don't start fires. In tight spaces, filled with insulation, foam or tar paper, you should use extra caution, squeeze out some of them and keep a spray bottle on hand (make sure you have water in it). These things are highly flammable, so if you lack confidence, hire a plumber.
I've seen fires started by careless workers, who were thinking about 3 pm, time to go home.

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All these mistakes help me to plumb better. I've started a few fires while soldering pipes in homes. Mainly small ones I can put out with a spray bottle. Well, one day my apprentice is soldering in a garage wall with insulation, and I say.
"Hey! pull that dang insulation away when you're soldering!"
I say that because I know about these things. And he yells back,
"Do you think I'm stupid?"
Well, I don't think he's stupid, but I am afraid he will solder without pulling the insulation away. I go back to what I'm doing, Now keep in mind, the water is off for the entire building. No way to put a fire out. Even stupid ol me doesn't have a way to put a fire out. Next thing I hear is,
"Dang! the wall's on FIRE! What do I do? The flames are going up inside the wall where I can't see them! Mad Plumber, what do I do?"
I yell back,
"Pull the dang insulation out of the wall you stupid moron!"
Next thing I hear is,
"Ow! Ow! this tar on the paper is sticking to my hands and burning me!"
"Aren't you wearing gloves?"
"No! I don't need them!"
I'm telling you, at this point I am MAD! I go around to the other side of the garage wall and see this stupid moron pulling drywall off the wall and piling up burning insulation on the floor with little flames on his hands while he's doing it.
After I calm down my apprentice says,
"Aren't you glad I didn't burn the house down?"
And I say back,
"Oh yeah! I think you're making this the happiest day of my life!"
Mad Plumber

Johnfin

Reaction score
Here is an idea. Since I am just after the heat. What about putting the torch in the hose
end of the nipple. No exposed flame.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is an idea. Since I am just after the heat. What about putting the torch in the hose
end of the nipple. No exposed flame.

Nope. You want heat on the outside of the fitting and a bit on the pipe. Make sure you have an open area to work in, the insulation it totally out of the way and you have water.
I sometimes pull the paper off the insulation as that's the stuff that catches fire easily and then stuff the fiberglass above to block any chimney affect. Heat likes to rise and blocking the passage for air to go up in the wall prevents the flames from going up too.

Johnfin

Reaction score
I think one of the problems with the pipe corroding is that someone used that expanding foam. Any of you
guys run into that? I am thinking it is corrosive. I read that RTV silicone is corrosive. The corrosion
on my pipe was on the outside of the pipe, not the inside. So I also need to know if they make a support plate for a pipe nipple.
A piece of sheet metal with a punched flanged hole in it that I could screw to the external wall under the sheathing or siding.

Johnfin

Reaction score
That is very cool BUT, I have a sch 40 pipe not tubing. Different o.d. right? What size hole
would I need for a 3/4" pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks