Main kitchen faucet, RO system (for drinking/Ice) on hard water

Users who are viewing this thread

intel2020

Reaction score
I just learned today that my home in Las Vegas, built ~1995, has the cold water kitchen faucet plumbed on hard water line. This includes connections plumbed for RO system that feeds ice maker. Was told that this was not an uncommon practice until ~2000 - 2005. I have been testing all my faucets/toilets/showers, etc. to see what is on the hard vs. soft loop. Looks like only the kitchen/icemaker lines.

I want cold feed soft in my kitchen, not hard. I will be looking to cut into wall by softener loop to look for "T" to kitchen area soon and if I am lucky to find it, will be re-configuring plumbing to bring soft water to kitchen faucet/ice maker lines.

Anyone else have this config or heard similar comments about "best practices" over the years?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If I were plumbing a new home these days, I'd feed filtered but unsoftened water to the cold, and softened to the hot, in the kitchen. Softened everything everywhere else, hose bibs questionable, depending on the water's specific problem(s). Might complicate the hot-water-on-demand system to keep things "pure", but would be a fun project.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I were plumbing a new home these days, I'd feed filtered but unsoftened water to the cold, and softened to the hot, in the kitchen.
Softened water is sure nice for the automated coffee maker not needing periodic descaling.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
This was a common practice due to the home builders mistake assumptions on sodium levels in drinking water... here is a nice little article on the topic that I wrote a while back. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/154
Post a couple of pictures of the underside of your sinks plumbing.
It is common to have a loop that can be used for a drinking water faucet and ice maker filter system with either an RO or a good quality filter.

intel2020

Reaction score
Finally took a couple of pictures, link to see them here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_owtKNMuwKTDNtMWlmeWI4OTg/view?usp=sharing

I guess it is possible that the plumbed RO input (see pic) might actually be soft as it is a different line than cold for faucet. Either way, I want to change this equipment as well.

Any opinions on this style of filters (sump style) vs. quick connect style from a performance perspective?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Either type Is fine, the problem is that most systems are built to be the lowest price and therefore are basically junk made by the lowest bidder in China. Be vary wary of the big box store units, or most of the online companies who have amazingly low prices. I used to work for a company that imported RO systems complete with tank/and faucet for under $50. These were absolutely scary. It was worse than the Yugo.

It may be soft or hard, not really important since you have an RO. Hard water will cause the membrane to not last as long, but membranes are not that expensive so it is not that important.

Here is an example of a good higher end RO, but these are obviously more than $50. :)
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/178-179

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks