Kenmore Power Miser 12 not heating adequately

Users who are viewing this thread

Augeydoggy

Reaction score
Two days ago, the gas company did a mandatory meter replacement. Since then, our Kenmore Power Miser 12 (installed 2008), has stopped heating adequately. I have ratched up the thermostat, stopping each time that it fired. I am currently past B, the next to highest setting, but still getting only warm water, not hot.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do I need to drain?
More than a drain, I would suggest a flush.
To do a simple water heater flush:
1. Put the WH into vacation mode, and turn off the water to the WH
2. drain the WH. Open a hot water faucet to admit air.
3. When empty, turn on the incoming water quickly for several seconds to spray against any sediment on the bottom.
4. Drain the WH.
5. Repeat #3 and #4 a few times.
6. Close the drain
7. Turn the water back on.
8. When water is freely coming out of that open faucet, close the faucet.
9. Turn the WH back on.​

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Replacing the gas meter may have pushed some crud into the gas valve of your WH, and is making the operation irregular. This is more common if you do not have a drip leg on the inlet. Draining your WH isn't likely to help with a gas valve problem!

I don't know enough about them to say whether it can be resolved easily (like, if, say, it has an inlet filter, and that got clogged), or if it's more likely the gas valve needs to be replaced to clear the debris.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Replacing the gas meter may have pushed some crud into the gas valve of your WH, and is making the operation irregular. This is more common if you do not have a drip leg on the inlet. Draining your WH isn't likely to help with a gas valve problem!

I don't know enough about them to say whether it can be resolved easily (like, if, say, it has an inlet filter, and that got clogged), or if it's more likely the gas valve needs to be replaced to clear the debris.

you are probably correct about this... your best bet is to complain to the gas company and
ask them to come out and repair this problem.. considering they made it happen in the first place...

in all likelyhood they will not help you and say its your problem

I would not attempt to just clean an old valve that is not working right
just change out the gas
thermostat to be on the safe side of things..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"stuff" in the gas line will NOT change the temperature of the unless it does NOT heat it at all. The temperature is controlled by a "sealed" element in the thermostat and is ONLY affected by conditions INSIDE the tank.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
As old as your heater is time to buy a new one, just like you would not try to repair a 9 year old computer it is not worth
the plumbing labor and parts to repair your water heater,
Can you get gas company to pay all or part ?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"As old as your heater is time to buy a new one"
- Agree. Just replace this old WH and enjoy hot showers.

"Can you get gas company to pay all or part ?"
- It's a long shot. The gas co will say that your WH was already on life support.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks