Clogged and plugged sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is a clogged and plugged sewer line that I found this week. The water was backing up into the tub with no movement. Previously this year I had pulled a toilet and had Walt run a snake down the line to clear it. He thought that I should add a cleanout outside the home for the next time. The line runs 250 feet to the common main. That was in the wet Seattle Winter. I was hoping that when the ground dried out I would find time to go back and install a cleanout. I didn't quite make it. I got the call things were backing up, called Walt and arranged for him to bring his snake the next day. I would beat him out there and install a cleanout for him to use. When I cut the line, this is what I found.

sewer-mom-02.jpg

Pretty much packed with paper and stuff.

sewer-mom-01.jpg

The overflow from the plugged line. Before cutting the line, I dug a path between the rocks for the water to pour past.

sewer-10431-01.jpg

I think that whoever installed the rocks in the mid 80's must have done something funny with the line. The fittings were twisted and going uphill about 4". Walt's had a hard time pushing the snake through that mess where it joined the clay. Well, not hard but it did show up as a problem when the cable was going in. I cut the clay line down lower and made sure the new connection graded downhill all the way.
The OLD picture shows it with the double cleanout that I installed for snaking, and then the next day I changed that fitting out for a combo that pointed away from the house. We should be good for another 30 years I guess.

walts-plumbing-01.jpg

Walt Gillespie helping me to clear a line. This is something you want a professional to do. Walt does all my sewer jobs.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks