Buying a new house - water analysis

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've spent a lot of time reading on Terrylove.com and always appreciate the amount of knowledge found here. My wife and I are under contract on a new home and the water analysis has stopped us in our tracks. Any thoughts on the results? Does anyone have any feel on how much a treatment system would cost to make this water usable?

Capture.JPG

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Not a problem to treat. The iron and pH are the main issues. Left untreated this will be nasty. You have many options but are you planning on DIY or having a local company deal with it? Do you have copper, pex, cpvc, or ? plumbing in the house?

pH neutralization and it is likely you will need to raise it above 7.5-8.0 to correct for LSi issues.

Simple neutralization, oxidant injection, contact tank, and iron reduction/ either manganese dioxide ore based media or GAC/clinptilolite blend may work.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Not a problem to treat. The iron and pH are the main issues. Left untreated this will be nasty. You have many options but are you planning on DIY or having a local company deal with it? Do you have copper, pex, cpvc, or ? plumbing in the house?

pH neutralization and it is likely you will need to raise it above 7.5-8.0 to correct for LSi issues.

Simple neutralization, oxidant injection, contact tank, and iron reduction/ either manganese dioxide ore based media or GAC/clinptilolite blend may work.

1st big question - would this make you walk away from a house you really liked?

2nd big question - can you provide a quote with parts to fix the pH and iron issues, just a quote for materials?

I have no problem going the DIY route, but we have dealt with a local company that we feel good about and they use Water Rights products.

The house has polybutylene throughout, and the pressure tank is water logged.

Also, the house was built in 1989, sold in 2008 and has been vacant since 2008 aside from renters for 18 months.

Is it possible it will clear up if we replace the pressure tank and use it normally - could the water just be stagnat?

Appreciate all your help!

Josh

ditttohead

Reaction score
I would not walk away from the house so long as you understand that it will require some water maintenance. This means possibly every month you will need to spend some time making sure you water system is operating properly. Kind of like owning a pool, it cant be ignored.

Water-right uses primarily Clack based systems. These are excellent. As to fixing the pH and iron..., you really need to do a real test. Assume a couple grand to get your water fixed with ongoing maintenance costs that typically range from about 50-200 dollars annually. These are wild estimates but without a comprehensive water test it is only a guess.

Once you move in you will need to get a real water test done. Kar Labs, NTL Labs are the two favorites from people on this website. The NTL Labs is much easier to read, the Kar Labs is more comprehensive. Both are about $200.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
I would not walk away from the house so long as you understand that it will require some water maintenance. This means possibly every month you will need to spend some time making sure you water system is operating properly. Kind of like owning a pool, it cant be ignored.

Water-right uses primarily Clack based systems. These are excellent. As to fixing the pH and iron..., you really need to do a real test. Assume a couple grand to get your water fixed with ongoing maintenance costs that typically range from about 50-200 dollars annually. These are wild estimates but without a comprehensive water test it is only a guess.

Once you move in you will need to get a real water test done. Kar Labs, NTL Labs are the two favorites from people on this website. The NTL Labs is much easier to read, the Kar Labs is more comprehensive. Both are about $200.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your responsiveness and your knowledge, buying a home is an exercise in patience and to have people respond knowledgebly and quickly makes a world of difference.

Would you be able to produce something on letterhead with a bill of materials to fix the water quality issues. We have to show proof to the sellers there is an issue before they will even consider a reduction in price.

Thank!

Josh

ditttohead

Reaction score
I don't sell equipment direct but I will PM you some reputable companies that will be able to work with you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks