Ceiling Fan install

Users who are viewing this thread

Jay01

Reaction score
My living room has vaulted ceilings. There was a chandelier hanging from the ceiling, but I replaced it with a ceiling fan. After I removed the hideous chandelier, I inspected the outlet box mount in the ceiling. The outlet box were the chandelier was hung, could be pushed up into the ceiling/attic, but would not travel beyond the ceiling drywall into the living room. I could not figure out how it was installed by the home builder. My question is, can this outlet box be used to mount the ceiling fan? I went ahead and bolted in the ceiling fan mount to this outlet box, and it seemed pretty sturdy.

Another question I forgot to ask. There is only one light switch in the living room which served to turn on/off the old chandelier. Will this existing switch (and the current that it supplies to the new ceilifan/light combo) be enough to power the new ceiling fan/light?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want an electrical box rated for use with a ceiling fan...the ones I've seen, when installed properly, are anchored well, and won't move around if you push on them prior to mounting the fan. I'd be suspect of what you have.

If the wiring only has on/off functions (only two wires plus ground), unless your fan has a remote control or some other special switch, you won't be able to change speeds, reverse it, or turn the lights on/off separately from the fan. There are some fans that have wireless controls, and then, you don't even need the wall switch except to disable it entirely. Casablanca has (or had, I have two older ones) that are designed to work as a replacement of an old ceiling light fixture. It controls both the fan speed, rotation direction, and lighting from a special wall switch.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What you have in the ceiling electrical box is probably something similar to the image on the left. The side strap is nailed to the ceiling joist and as you found that is can be moved up into the attic space. The image on the right is an approved fan ceiling box. Sometimes with an approve fan ceiling box it is screwed to a 2 by ? above the box for a secure anchor.

upload_2017-6-27_18-1-37.png
upload_2017-6-27_18-3-50.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks