Trouble with the Flapper seal on an old Crane Drexel toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Markdski

Reaction score
I know the easiest response to this post is replace the toilet, but I'd like to try and repair first.

I have an old Crane Drexel porcelain toilet. For the past several years it has worked fine. Recently it started "running" intermittently, so I assumed the flopper and the seal were wearing out. I tried to repair it with a new drainmaster flopper and puddy like gasket twice with no luck.

Any suggestions, Would another product work better to seal the flopper gasket area?

crane_drexel_white.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
To distinguish whether the leak is at the flapper/seat vs the gasket/putty area, you could turn off the incoming water, and see how far down the water drops. If it is the flapper area, the water level should stop dropping at that level. Otherwise it would drop to the bottom of the tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Markdski

Reaction score
To distinguish whether the leak is at the flapper/seat vs the gasket/putty area, you could turn off the incoming water, and see how far down the water drops. If it is the flapper area, the water level should stop dropping at that level. Otherwise it would drop to the bottom of the tank.

Reach4:

Thanks! Yup - the water level does not drop below the flapper. The issue is the flapper seal.

Markdski

Reaction score
You may want to consider removing the tank and replacing the flush valve and fill valve. Fluidmaster makes some kits for that.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/repair-kits/400arhrk-performax-all-in-one-repair-kit/

I notice that the Drexel flapper is not at all standard. Changing out the flush valve takes you into the 21st century.

Terry:

Yes. Thanks. I looked at a couple of options at the hardware store today, including one that would provide a dual flush option. I still worry that these won't solve the leaky flapper seal.

Your thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Wipe around the seat with a cloth to remove any particles. Also feel for imperfections with your finger.
Make sure that the chain is not taut.
Consider putting a light coat of silicon plumber's grease on the mating surface.
Feel to make sure the flapper is not being pulled or pushed off center.

Markdski

Reaction score
You may want to consider removing the tank and replacing the flush valve and fill valve. Fluidmaster makes some kits for that.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/repair-kits/400arhrk-performax-all-in-one-repair-kit/

I notice that the Drexel flapper is not at all standard. Changing out the flush valve takes you into the 21st century.

Terry:

It looks like I need to go the route of gutting the toilet. Will the 400ARHRK – PerforMAX® All-In-One Repair Kit (which I can buy off the shelf at the local Home Depot work for the Crane Drexel? I still worry about the flapper seal. Also, this toilet has a built in flow valve to the stool (see the attached photo). Your thoughts?

IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG

Markdski

Reaction score
Success!

IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG

Here is what I did. This FluidMaster part was not working. This first one has the putty already attached to the flopper.

The second one worked! Perhaps it was the little water basket on the top or the fact that the putty came separate and I was able to put it on the toilet hole dead center. Either way, I'm happy for now.

Thanks again all for your thoughts on this. I appreciate it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks