Adding C to my Nest thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

Crewel

Reaction score
hi all,

I currently only have 4 wires running to my nest. I see that my furnace supports what appears to me as a common wire. It is currently being used by the AC unit outside. One wire on "Com 24" and the other on "Y"

My question is: can I add the unused blue wire from the thermostat wire (you see it wrapped round the outside) to the "Com 24" on the PCB? I am afraid to do this because the AC unit outside is already plugged into it. I wasnt sure if that would mess it up.

Any thoughts?
4qHNVkA.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A typical thermostat is just a fancy on/off switch...it only connects the hot lead to the one needed to either turn on the a/c unit, or the heating unit...the other side of the power (always takes in/out), is after the control in the device (the furnace or a/c unit). The Nest thermostat (and many other smart ones) work best if they can get external power...that takes both in/out. The common is the other half of all of the control lines. As long as the furnace's transformer is big enough to handle the load (and pretty much all of them are), it can power your thermostat.

Crewel

Reaction score
Thanks all. I tried it and it worked as expected. Nest now sees the C wire supplying 25VAC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks