Push-In Wire Connectors VS. Wire Nuts

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Looking for opinions (and support of them) for push in wire connectors vs. wire nuts. I know wire nuts when used properly can last for decades, but what about push-in connectors such as the Ideal In-Sure ones?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
They've been around for well over a decade, and I've encountered no failure reports (not that I seek them out, of course).
They're more compact and sometimes much easier to install in a crowded box than wirenuts. Wires can sometimes
pull out as you shove the things into the back of the box, if the wires are both tensioned and rotated in doing so. I wouldn't
dream of using them with (untinned) stranded wire, even though I see some of them are rated for it.
If they're good enough for the Underwriter's Laboratory, and similar listing agencies, they're good enough for me.

Bwh

Reaction score
Agree with kreemoweet - haven't heard any horror stories.

For my money, and time, I'd rather have a good solid twist and wire nut connection. Stab ins can come loose over time, and if you dont push them in all the way, it can exacerbate this issue. Makes a me a little uneasy, so for my money/time I'd go with the "old fashioned" way. You're totally fine using the ideal UL listed push conns.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hassle with a spring to make the connection is that if it goes through numerous heating/cooling cycles, the tension can begin to relax. If sized properly, they should be fine. I'm not sure they have the fault margin of a proper wire nut, though.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
At the church I maintain I had one of these where the electrician's helper daisy chained too many CFL fixtures (16 or 18 ga wire from the fixture) and one of them actually melted that opened the neutral for about four 42 watt lamp fixtures in a ceiling 23 feet high. The fix was a little wiring change with a wire nut or two done by an electrician.

When wires are twisted together the connection is wire to wire and the wire nut holds the connection together, not necessarily carry current. With the "In-Sure" connection you're going from wire to a connection and the next connection is via a metal tab to another connection that carries the current, etc. Get the picture?

I think these are good if it is making a connection to one fixture or outlet. If you're looking for a butt splice to help with short wires their "SpliceLine" product looks better.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks