Sewer smell

Users who are viewing this thread

KSW

Reaction score
I was delayed in changing a fill valve and there was sewer smell. Changed the valve and now it works fine. Flushed toilet bunch. But still sewer smell today. What gives? How do I fix

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bowl should be sealed to the closet flange. That is one place to think about. If water is in the bowl, that should stop odors from the plumbing, assuming the seal is intact below the bowl.

Reach4

Reaction score
Put some water down the lavatory and tub drains to make sure those traps have water. Open a window, and close the door for a day. See if the smell goes away.

I am suspecting that while the fill valve was not working, the water level in the bowl went down a lot, and sewer smells got into the bathroom.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Still smells today.
Does the toilet rock at all?

Anyway, presuming the smell is from the toilet, you need new wax or other seal as Terry said. If using wax, get shims, that prevent rocking, in place before dropping the bowl on the wax. You must only squish down, and not lift the bowl, when putting the bowl on the wax.

Pexuniverse

Reaction score
Like reach4 said, the wax seal might be leakin the smell, you should consider installing flange supports. Here's a video with an animation on how they work.

Also, there's something called a trap primer which keeps your p-trap from drying out. In case you're interested, here's a video on that too.

KSW

Reaction score
Ok the toilet does not move at all. The smell has got into the house. There has been water in the bowl and back of tbd toilet. Issue started after toilet fill valve clogged up. So water was cutoff, And toilet got used and flushed with water from bucket. I can't determine were smell is coming from other then the bathroom. other bathroom is fine. I need plumber

KSW

Reaction score
I did replace fill valve and toilet flushes fine but still smell. Help please

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are looking for a suggestion for a plumber, you would need to be more specific about your location.

Do you like that toilet? A modern toilet seldom needs a plunger. If you are going to have the old toilet pulled and the seal replaced, it might be worthwhile getting a new toilet at the same time. If the old toilet flushes well and does not need a plunger, then pulling the toilet, making sure water goes into the closet flange at high enough volume, and putting the old toilet back with a new seal can make sense.

If you are doing that yourself, and if you find the closet flange to be in good shape, you might want to consider a waxless seal. With wax, you need to make sure that you only push down and never lift during the process. So your shims would need to be in place rather than inserted after the toilet gets dropped onto the wax. A waxless seal is resilient, so it can accept lifting.

It is also possible that the smell is not sewer smell. Do you have caulking between the toilet base and the floor? That keeps liquids from flowing under the toilet.

Last edited:

KSW

Reaction score
No there is no caulk. But there never has been. Water dropped in bowl while toilet was off, fixed fill valve, now flushes fine, but still there is the smell. I can't tell excatly were the smell is coming from in the bathroomi just no it's that bathroom. I have another bathroom that works fine and has no smell. Do you think it could be septic tank issue or no.

Reach4

Reaction score
I can't tell excatly were the smell is coming from in the bathroomi just no it's that bathroom.
You can get plastic drop cloths very cheaply. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husky-Plastic-Drop-Cloth-0.7-Mil-3-Pack/17217856 Cover the toilet, lavatory, and tub separately. Use masking tape if needed. Let things sit. Then sniff under each drop cloth to see where the smell is.

husky-drop-cloth.jpg

Do you think it could be septic tank issue or no.
I don't think so. I think a septic tank problem could cause drainage problems, but I don't think indoor odor problems. I could be wrong. But while you are thinking about it, have you gotten your septic tank pumped lately? Depending on size and usage, that might be needed every year, or it may be able to safely go much longer. When you get the tank pumped, expect the guy to tell you how full it was. From that you can gauge how long to wait for next time. It is much cheaper to get it pumped more than needed than to get it pumped less than needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

KSW

Reaction score
No it hasnt been pumped. How would I know it needed pumped. Would septic issues cause issues with both bath rooms

KSW

Reaction score
Wouldn't the seal being messed up cause water to leak around the base?

Reach4

Reaction score
No it hasnt been pumped. How would I know it needed pumped. Would septic issues cause issues with both bath rooms
Get it pumped. Depending on cost of living in your area and maybe conditions, figure between $175 and $300. This presumes you or he knows where the cleanout is. Don't get in his way, but do ask for advice and take notes. In the scheme of things, this is more important for timely action than tracking down your smell IMO.

An independent may not have an office staff, so be prepared to leave a number with message. Ask your neighbors. They will have a favorite, and most people like sharing useful info.

Wouldn't the seal being messed up cause water to leak around the base?
Usually not, unless there is a blockage in the pipes following. The water goes pretty much downward from the output of the toilet, but the gases with smells go all ways.

Reach4

Reaction score
So get pumped. Or change seal?
Two different things. The pumping is to prevent your septic field from being damaged. Fixing that would be many thousands of dollars.

Regarding the smell, I suggested isolating the toilet with a plastic drop cloth before tearing into the toilet.

husky-drop-cloth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The odor could be from a failed AAV. Sometimes there will be one under the sink or it could be behind a slotted grill on the wall.

As Reach4 suggested above pour water down the drains if there are any fixture that you don't use very often such as a shower, tub, sinks or floor drains.

Sometimes there will be a small screw hole in a cleanout plug and that can stink up a bath room too.

A picture of the drain from under the sink might reveal some clues.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks