HELP!!! Contracted has put cement board with a giant hole in it... looks very very wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Caldwell lee

Reaction score
Hi
Behind the membrane hides a very large hole in the backer board.

The cutouts were supposed to be around two water supplies... I can see he tried... didn't measure correctly. Then decided to just make a large hole.

Approx 9 inches x 8 inches.... then covered it up with kerdi like membrane.

I am going to upload a photo if I can
And maybe a video

Attachments

• IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 431

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The membrane is supposed to also be bonded to the tub's tiling flange with KerdiFix, or some other suitable sealant. It's not ideal. What size tile are you using? You might post over at www.johnbridge.com where they have lots more people with tiling experience.

Caldwell lee

Reaction score
What is the tile going to be attached to? There is nothing behind it with that big opening.

I spoke with hired contractor

And redid the work myself

What should have been a 20 minute job took two hours as all the cement board was screwed in. And sheathed in membrane

Amazing what someone will do when they think they can get away with it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks