Routing a dishwasher drain hose

Users who are viewing this thread

Agolz12

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. We are installing a dishwasher at our house as part of a kitchen remodel and we are trying to figure out what the best way to route the drain hose is. Our dishwasher model is Maytag MDB8959SFZ, the manual says it can have a max of a 12' drain hose. Below is the layout of our kitchen plan.

Would it be better to run the hose under the cabinets and then do a high loop under the sink or would it be better to run the hose over the cabinets and under the counter top? If I go over the cabinets do I still need the high loop under the sink. Is the drain hose supposed to slope in any direction or does it not matter, will it always have some leftover water in it? Sorry for all of the basic questions but thanks for the help!

ynF8uYr.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I have always run the drain line at the top of the cabinet to the drain connection. If you go under the cabinets; 1) if it ever needs replacing or you change out the dishwasher in the future how do you replace the drain hose. 2) When the machine stops draining, the water will drain out of the hose to the drain. If it is under the cabinet, water will remain in the hose. About 40 years ago when I installed my first dishwasher, the instruction read to loop the hose to near the top of the dishwasher, go through the cabinet then to the drain. I've always followed this little rule to minimize and waste water from the sink back flowing to the dishwasher. Not sure if there is a code requirement but some areas of the country a anti siphon connection may still be required.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It just depends on what is in the way. A lot of times the corner of the cabinets is a space that is not easy to use for storage so I just lay the hose on the shelf in the back of the cabinet. If it has one of those lazy Susan's in the corner it's a pain. If there are drawers in the way and the storage space is usable I attach it to the bottom of the center shelf.

Agolz12

Reaction score
Thanks guys, so if I go above the cabinets
do I still need a high loop where it connects to the disposal?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks