DIY water treatment system in new house

Users who are viewing this thread

fifer

Reaction score
We are within 2 months of completion on our new house. We are on city water which is almost all coming from wells.

I have a full test results from: ntllabs.com

Our water is not too hard but I want to make sure that we cover it well and that the system is over engineered but realistic.

Stats: Hardness 7 gpg
Users: 4
Demand: highest is likely either just full boor on the tub or the steam shower which has 3 yeads at ~2.5gpm each.
Nothing else of note other than just covering taste and such with a carbon filter.

I have been looking at a Flec 9100sxt on Vortech tanks at 32,000-40,000 grains.
Since I really do not want to have flow issues I was looking at a backwash carbon filter.

A key factor for me is my ability to spend some money up front, though I would rather spend it on the equipment rather than services, and my desire to have a system that will last a long time and need little maintenance. My thought with a dual tank system is partially the 24/7 softening, but mainly the longevity and robustness of the system. Would not need to change the resin for a long time!

Keep in mind that all of this is just based on lots of research, not all of it in clear agreement.
I'm more than happy to take all advice and ideas!

The item that now has my strong attention is the Flec 5810 xtr2.
While my first desire is for a bullet proof system that just works, I'm also a technologist and the xtr2 interface and capabilities are very attractive to me!

The issue there is access. I can buy everything else easily from multiple sources on the internet.

So I guess I have two question directions. One just about the solution I'm looking for, the other about the ability to get a 5810 xtr2 valve. I have to be honest about the second question. Because I'm trying to do the best system I can upfront cost maters. This and how meticulous a DIY'er I am are the reasons I want to go DIY.

Thank you all so much for your great questions and posts!
Reading this forum has already been a great help!!

Thanks!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Don't bother with the dual tank system. For your application it would simply add future service expense and the flow rate of the unit is not that impressive. As to the resin longevity, single double, really no difference especially if you are going to put a properly sized carbon backwash system ahead of it. Vortech tank... don't bother. I wont go into detail here but we don't really push them anymore. Maybe in the future...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks