What is the Best Brand submersible Well Pump (Made in USA)?

Users who are viewing this thread

RogerPDX

Reaction score
I have to replace my down pipe in my well - it has been down there since 1978 and it
seems like there is a hole (s) in the pipe.

While I'm at it, I thought this would be a good time to replace the 1/2 HP / 5 gpm pump.

My guess is - that most/many pumps are now made in China, or in Mexico with Chinese
parts/motors in them. I'd rather have a good 'ol American motor in my next pump.

Who knows the best pump to buy these days - that is Made in America?

My pump rests at about 360' - 365'. The hole is in solid rock

I'm open for suggestions.

Also, is there a "formula" that can tell me what size pump I should put down into that hole?
My present pump is 1/2 HP / 5 GPM and the well only produces about 250 gals every 24 hours.

I talked to 2 well guys, and they both told me something different!

I'd like exacts, if I can find them.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no way a 1/2-5 will pump from a water level of 360'.

From that depth you need a 1hp-5, it will make about 4gpm at a 60 psi shut off pressure.

For pumps, I like a Franklin stainless steel pump and motor combo (but I hate the BS they pulled on my distributor), or a Grundfos SP series.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Craig is right....1/2 - 5 has no business set that deep. Flint and Walling is also a good American made pump. As far as a formula, every brand is different, so pick a brand and then look for the pump curves (performance info)to help you pick the right one.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since you are pumping into a cistern a ½ HP, 5 GPM pump will work. It will still deliver about 3 GPM from 360’.

Made in the US doesn’t mean what it use to. There are too many regulations making us take out lead and other things that are needed to make quality materials. This doesn’t make things any safer. It just drives up cost and shortens the life of pumps and motors. F&W is about the most made in the US that you can find, and they are as good as any.

The best VFD that I have used on a pumping application is the SMVector series from AC Tech/Lenze.

Why would you even bring up a VFD in this application?? And why does everybody in Idaho still think a VFD will save energy and/or make pumps last longer. VFD’s waste energy and cost the consumer many times more than a dependable pump system.

I guess the people in Idaho are getting the education that our government wants them to have. VFD’s save energy, the more government regulations the better, etc., etc…… Could I interest you in some beachfront property in New Orleans? I promise it will never be flooded. :)

Yi Ma

Reaction score
Website
www.reviewswise.com
Since you are pumping into a cistern a ½ HP, 5 GPM pump will work. It will still deliver about 3 GPM from 360’.

Made in the US doesn’t mean what it use to. There are too many regulations making us take out lead and other things that are needed to make quality materials. This doesn’t make things any safer. It just drives up cost and shortens the life of pumps and motors. F&W is about the most made in the US that you can find, and they are as good as any.
What do you think of Red Lion pumps? According to our research when we were writing our article here people seem to say that they are reliable. Do you have any experience with them?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Red Lion is just another lower grade Franklin product. Probably no different than Monarch, Little Giant, and all the others. Franklin has gone to cheapening up the models they sell on line and in the big box stores even more. They use fewer thrust bearing pads, a plastic motor end bell, suction adapter, and pump discharge. The impellers and diffusers were already plastic, but they probably changed them to a "floating stage" design, like they did their other lines, which is also a cheapening up from the old reliable "floating stack" design.

Asking who has the best pump is an Oxymoron. It would be better to ask who has done the least to "downgrade" their pump. Building quality pumps is no longer the goal of manufacturers. The goal is "planned obsolescence ". It is more important to reduce the life of the pump so they can sell more of them. Making a quality pump that will last as long time would be counter productive to sales.

And since every consumer now searches for the cheapest pump, cheaply built pumps are all that is available anymore. All pump companies must now compete on price, so quality takes a back seat. There are a few companies like Grundfos and Goulds who have not cheapened their pumps up as much as Franklin, but they still have to compete somewhat. I could sell you a pump that would last 20-30 years for a thousand dollars. But I would go out of business because everyone is buying pumps that only cost 200 bucks. In that same 20-30 years they may have to buy 10 of those pumps. This is a couple thousand bucks more to the manufacturer, compared to just a thousand bucks if they had sold you a higher priced and higher quality pump.

People have learned how to eliminate pump cycling and make even cheap pumps last longer. So they have to cheapen the pumps up even more. Many are now selling "tankless" control units and VFD's to make more profit and further shorten the life of pumps. There are some pumps that are still working after 50-70 years. But you won't find one made like that anymore. Most of those companies were put out of business a long time ago when people started looking for the lowest price, instead of the highest quality.

But having said all that, Red Lion is probably as good as anything Franklin has. It may have a plastic suction adapter and end bell, but the impellers, motor winding, and rotor are the same as in their contractor grade pumps.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Red Lion is just another lower grade Franklin product. Probably no different than Monarch, Little Giant, and all the others. Franklin has gone to cheapening up the models they sell on line and in the big box stores even more. They use fewer thrust bearing pads, a plastic motor end bell, suction adapter, and pump discharge. The impellers and diffusers were already plastic, but they probably changed them to a "floating stage" design, like they did their other lines, which is also a cheapening up from the old reliable "floating stack" design.

The Red Lion jet pumps are made in China and reviews from ahmazhon say a lot die very young. Valveman, that jet pump in your avatar is a F&W from Delavan Wisconsin? I see them also marketed as Pentair, that big pump co. vacuum cleaner. Good unit?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ballvalve! Good to hear from you. Yeah that jet pump is made in Delevan, WI, but that is where Pentair or Sta-Rite is made. I don't think they are associated with F&W, but I could be wrong. So many companies co-mingling these days.

Don't know how to help you with the impeller stack, maybe Texaswellman has seen one like that?

Frank090

Reaction score
I am planning to replace the old down pipe too. So If you find the best brand just tell me please.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Not a lot of differences in most brand of pumps these days. But Grundfos is still one of my favorites, as long as you stay away from the variable speed types they push. And that brand should be available in your area.

John777

Reaction score

Asking who has the best pump is an Oxymoron. It would be better to ask who has done the least to "downgrade" their pump. Building quality pumps is no longer the goal of manufacturers. The goal is "planned obsolescence ". It is more important to reduce the life of the pump so they can sell more of them. Making a quality pump that will last as long time would be counter productive to sales.

And since every consumer now searches for the cheapest pump, cheaply built pumps are all that is available anymore. All pump companies must now compete on price, so quality takes a back seat. There are a few companies like Grundfos and Goulds who have not cheapened their pumps up as much as Franklin, but they still have to compete somewhat. I could sell you a pump that would last 20-30 years for a thousand dollars. But I would go out of business because everyone is buying pumps that only cost 200 bucks. In that same 20-30 years they may have to buy 10 of those pumps. This is a couple thousand bucks more to the manufacturer, compared to just a thousand bucks if they had sold you a higher priced and higher quality pump.

People have learned how to eliminate pump cycling and make even cheap pumps last longer. So they have to cheapen the pumps up even more. Many are now selling "tankless" control units and VFD's to make more profit and further shorten the life of pumps. There are some pumps that are still working after 50-70 years. But you won't find one made like that anymore. Most of those companies were put out of business a long time ago when people started looking for the lowest price, instead of the highest quality.

But having said all that, Red Lion is probably as good as anything Franklin has. It may have a plastic suction adapter and end bell, but the impellers, motor winding, and rotor are the same as in their contractor grade pumps.
Thanks for that information. Most don't seem to know about planned obsolescence. I'm looking for the best pump I can get since installation is so high. I'm thinking a grandfus sp4 s62 since its set at 735 deep. If you know of a better one let me know. single phase 230v.
So whats the problem with the variable speed ones, since someone was saying grandfus was good but stay away from the variable speed ones they push.
Thanks,
John

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm thinking a grandfus sp4 s62
What pump is that. I understand that you mean Grundfos, but what is the s62 thing? Did you maybe mean 7S20-32 or 10S30-34 or 5S15-31 ?

Or what?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking a grandfus
Are you playing on the words grand and fuss?
I personally put more value on how well it is made rather than where it is made. Lots of manufacturers these days cannot even be called that since they are just assemblers of components made who knows where.

John777

Reaction score
Are you playing on the words grand and fuss?
I personally put more value on how well it is made rather than where it is made. Lots of manufacturers these days cannot even be called that since they are just assemblers of components made who knows where.
yea sorry grandfos. idk where I got the grandfus at. And its a sp4 62s. thats 62 gal per min. Think they had 45s 35s and lower. That is for the sp4 series. They have the spe, spq, spqe which I don't really know anything about. So any info on these types is appreciative.

John777

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks