Controller wiring - is it possible to put one zone wire into two zones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pseudonym

Reaction score
Ha let me explain my odd question.

I have a six zone controller and only three zones of sprinklers. One zone wire in each slot 1,2,3. Working fine.

To get more watering options from the controller, is there a way I can hook up each of the zone wires into two zone slots, using up all six zone slots on the controller? I know nothing about wiring, so I don't know if I can turn one wire into a Y and have the 'signal' be duplicated exactly to each arm of the Y?

This is a new controller and I thought it had the precise multiple watering time settings in a day that I wanted. But it doesn't, and I don't want to hassle returning it and getting another right now. Eventually I will, but for now is it possible to get the controller to control zone 1 as both 1 and 4, zone 2 as both 2 and 5, and zone 3 as both 3 and 6?

FWIW the controller I have says it will not run more than one zone at time regardless of timer settings, so I don't run any risk of the controller turning on the same set of valves simultaneously from two different zone slots.

Is this doable? A really stupid idea?

Thank you for any thoughts and help.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Please provide the sprinkler controller model number. I've almost alway have seen that any digital timer does have multiple starts times on a given day. I've never tried it but usually I want to run two irrigation zones on one timer output. Each output is 24v ac and I'm not sure if each output has any protection circuit to block extraneous voltages from working back in. To play it safe I wouldn't do it. What might happen is the controller may sense that there is a short and error out by not turning on those zones. Some do but a small homeowners unit may not have this feature. If I have the model number I'll look up the manual for it.

Pseudonym

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

The controller is a Rainbird SST 6-zone. I've got the manual and it's definitely how I've described.

Independently, each zone has one watering start time on a given day. Optionally a 2nd, 3rd and 4th watering on the same day. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are set by choosing from a list of pre-defined offset hours from the initial start time: 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, 9 hours and 12 hours. (A 12 hour span cannot be exceeded regardless of how many times per day you water.)

On my old controller (also a Rainbird) I used to water at 4am and 11pm as I could set the actual start time of the 2nd watering. (My watering hours are midnight to 6am, and 9pm to midnight, on my watering day.) I just can't see any possible way to get an interval of 19 hours from the new controller.

Since I posted this, I've been told by two people (neither are electricians just have some experience) that I can use another piece of sprinkler field wire to jumper from each zone to the second one. Zone 1 to zone 4, zone 2 to zone 5, zone 3 to zone 6, without danger to the controller or to the valves.

I haven't done this yet so if you have info to the contrary I'm interested in hearing.

Thank you again for your reply.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
At least my statement was true, multiple start times but this model does have the 12 hour limit. If you jumped wires from 1-4, etc, probably nothing may not happen (damage wise) since it is not uncommon to accidentally short wires during an installation. There would be no damage to the valves but I'm not sure about the controller outputs. I can asked my friend who is certified irrigation tech in Palm Beach County.

However, I think I have simple solution, set the actual time of the clock off by 12 hours. Assume your watering day is Monday. Set the clock ahead 12 hours, therefore, at the actual noon time is 12 midnight on the controller. For your morning watering set the controller to water on Monday at 4:00 pm (actual time is 4:00 am). Then for Tuesday, set the water start time at 9:00 am (actual time is Monday evening at 9:00 pm).

I think I written it correctly but I'm sure you get the idea.

Pseudonym

Reaction score
I received confirmation today from a licensed electrician that jumpering the same valves into two zones will work fine and without damage to valves or controller.

Having said that, I applaud your "thinking out of the box" to adjust the time on the controller. Duh! I should have thought of that. Brilliant idea. Thanks so much!

Pseudonym

Reaction score
Rats! It *is* a brilliant idea, but not with this controller. Just went to try it. There is only one watering start time per zone. I can't set 4pm start today and 9am start tomorrow (to follow your example).

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
This is a bad design for today's watering restrictions and it really make no sense to have extended delay starts instead of four actual start times. At Rainbird web site they have a WiFi model and it states each zone can have different start times for each day and multiple start times. http://www.rainbird.com/homeowner/products/timers/ST8-WiFi.htm

Pseudonym

Reaction score
You get no argument from me.

I'm budgeting to have entire landscaping and irrigation, front and back, completely redone in 5-6 years. New controller(s) of course will be part of that project.

Until then, I'll use the jumpers on my current controller so I can get by until the yard is redone.

Maybe this thread helps someone else, either by using your time shift idea or using the jumpers, to salvage a similar mess.

Thanks for all your replies.

Pseudonym

Reaction score
In case it helps anyone, the jumper technique works fine (with this controller at least).

For me leaving the cover off the valve wire area and having the untidy look of visible wires is not an issue, so for ease of installation I used a wire nut and two 4" pieces of 22 gauge solid copper wire (the same wire as the valve wires) on each valve wire. Now each valve wire had two connections to the controller.

Former zone 1 wire is now on both zone 1 and zone 2 on the controller. Former zone 2 wire is now on controller zones 3 and 4. And former zone 3 wire is now on controller zones 5 and 6.

I easily meet my watering requirements with zones 1, 3, and 5 handling all the morning waterings, and zones 2,4, and 6 handling all the night waterings for my three zones of sprinklers.

I will download the PDF manual and understand its operation thoroughly before I buy the next controller!

Henry Pratt

Reaction score
Ha let me explain my odd question.

I have a six zone controller and only three zones of sprinklers. One zone wire in each slot 1,2,3. Working fine.

To get more watering options from the controller, is there a way I can hook up each of the zone wires into two zone slots, using up all six zone slots on the controller? I know nothing about wiring, so I don't know if I can turn one wire into a Y and have the 'signal' be duplicated exactly to each arm of the Y?

This is a new controller and I thought it had the precise multiple watering time settings in a day that I wanted. But it doesn't, and I don't want to hassle returning it and getting another right now. Eventually I will, but for now is it possible to get the controller to control zone 1 as both 1 and 4, zone 2 as both 2 and 5, and zone 3 as both 3 and 6?

FWIW the controller I have says it will not run more than one zone at time regardless of timer settings, so I don't run any risk of the controller turning on the same set of valves simultaneously from two different zone slots.

Is this doable? A really stupid idea?

Thank you for any thoughts and help.
Sounds like you should have bought a different controller as most available allow for multiple start times for each zone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks