Which is Safer: Old Wiring with New AFCI Breakers or New Wiring Without AFCI Breakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Which is Safer: Old Wiring with New AFCI Breakers or New Wiring Without AFCI Breakers (conventional breakers)?

Stuff

Reaction score
First, lots think that AFCI isn't that helpful as it only senses a few failures. Most AFCI breakers (other than GE, I think) also provide 30ma GFCI so that can provide a benefit. You don't say whether the old has a grounding conductor or not.
So it really depends on the situation. Old good wiring is safer than new installed improperly. That is some of the reason why knob-and-tube is usually allowed to stay as long as it is undisturbed.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Old does not necessarily mean damaged, worn, deteriorated, or unsafe. I've replaced hundred-year-old house wiring that was
as good and flexible as the day it was installed. Of course, a lot more abused and falling-apart K&T wiring crossed my path.
I have no personal experience with AFCI's but from what I hear from those that have, it can only be termed a
"premature technology". Not that you necessarily have any choice in the matter.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
NEC 2014 version requires AFCI and GFCI almost everywhere with new work. Every few years the NEC changes code requirements to make things safer and to address new technology such as battery charger hookups for electric vehicles. So your answer to your question is any correct wiring with AFCI is safer. It has nothing to do with "old or new wiring".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think it helps to understand what an AFCI and a GFCI actually do to improve safety. In reality, if there are no faults, you do not need either one. They protect in less than ideal circumstances.

AFCI protect, primarily, the structure from burning down from a less than ideal connection (say, loose or corroded connection that creates sparks, thus a source of flame). That indirectly protects people, but it does it by protecting the structure.

A GFCI protects animate objects...you, your children, your pets, etc. by detecting a fault in the current path. When working properly, any electrical circuit is a closed path...all of the current that goes out on one wire (live or hot referenced to ground anyways) must return on the neutral lead. Any that leaks off (a fault) to ground might also end up going through you. Too much current through you can cause your heart to stop, fry things, etc...i.e., not good. A GFCI detects when too much current is leaking to places where it shouldn't. An AFCI detects when there are sparks in the circuit. In a perfect world, you don't need either. We don't live in a perfect world. How safe do y0u want to be? If the wiring insulation and conductor is intact and properly sized, it doesn't matter if it is new or old. Having a safety ground is yet a third way to provide safety, and older installations may not have one. They can still have the added safety from the addition of AFCI and/or GFCI without a ground (well at least on GFCI...I'm not positive on AFCI - it should work without a ground, but I'm not sure it does).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks