Drain layout question

Users who are viewing this thread

miky

Reaction score
We are in the middle of the renovation and we have to change the drain layout.

I attached a sketch of what I’m planning to do.

- the drain from roof to the basement and the vents will be 1.5” pipe

- the first floor will have a sink and washer – 1.5” pipes. The washer’s trap will be under the subfloor, and the washer will be only 2.2 cu.ft. The washer’s drain will be around 10’ and the vent will be added 5’ from the trap.

- the ground floor will have also a sink and washer. Just the washer will be around 17’ away from the vertical drain. The washer will be 6.0 cu.ft.

-the basement will have a sink, WC and shower.

Any other comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Drain.jpg
    Drain.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 573

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would be a VERY "lenient code" if it allowed all of that to be done with 1 1/2" piping, and allow the washer trap and horizontal vent to be below the floor.

miky

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.
Regarding washer trap and horizontal vent we don’t have a choice. That’s the only way we can run these pipes. How would you do in this kind of situation? Any advice please.
The ground floor and the basement 1.5” vertical drain we are changing to 2”.

MKS

Reaction score
I am not a plumber.
Your vent for the first floor washer is a big p-trap, second drawing. Vents need to be able to drain. I believe this is why you received the worse reply.
Terry has recently responded to a similar situation. Sometimes a wall is made deeper or a 'chase' is created to accommodate the plumbing.

Two inch vent for the wc is pretty standard in the U.S.
I'm not sure the basement wc is vented.

miky

Reaction score
Thank you for your response MKS.
Are there any restrictions how the vent has to run?
Would this layout work better? The arm would be around 10”-12”.

Attachments

• Drain.jpg
    Drain.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 536

Reach4

Reaction score
This will be an improvement:
1. trap arm labeled 4 ... it can be longer, but it can be 4 inches. That 4 inches is measured wider than your red lines, so it is hard to get under the minimum.
2. AAV avoids the question of whether you can use an island vent for a standpipe. AAV can double as cleanout. It will be accessible and removable. Alternatively, I think I read that Canada permits standpipe P-traps to be below floor level (US does not). Doing that, you could put a santee for the standpipe in the piping above the sink drainage joining. That would avoid an AAV. IMG_7.png illustrates what I am saying, but don't take this as authoritative. Check with your local inspectors. They maybe very helpful. They may not be.
3. Except for santees, all drain transitions from vertical to horizontal must be long sweeps (LS).
4. Increase vent through roof to 2 inches or even more. In snow areas, this is often required to be even bigger.
5. Standpipe should be minimum of 18 inches. There is a maximum that varies. 24 inches would be nice.

I am not a plumber. Some of this may be wrong, but I am confident that it is pretty close.

IMG_6.png

Attachments

• IMG_7.png
    IMG_7.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks