Small extraction pump for emptying sinks, small sumps, toilet tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm done using a coffee mug and a big grout sponge to remove water.

I'm avoiding those "drill pumps" because those involve both me and my two hands to operate. They also appear to be one-time-use devices from poor quality.

I'm interested in "12 volt pumps" for submersible, aquariums, ponds, desktop water fountain projects, hydroponic grow ops, there are so many of them for so many applications.

I like 12 volt, as I have yet to be electrocuted by a wall wart power adapter.

Some of my concerns are sediment and debris, if they need to be stopped at a filter, or if a pump can handle them. Ones that can be easily serviced to clean the impeller/diaphragm after use can be a good idea too.

My wet tile bridge saw has such a small pump about the size of a toilet roll, which has worked for many years recycling muddy water with bits of ceramic, if that means anything positive. Has a simple plastic mesh filter that looks like the ones you find with garden hose attachments. Perhaps that is all I need at the end of the siphon hose.

I believe I don't need something fancy for industrial use, as I won't be pumping oil, gasoline, toluenes, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone here uses a pump and can tell me about it.

(I didn't post this in the wells forum because it's a pump for plumbing maintenance.)
12_Volt_Self-Priming_Utility_Pump.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I use a (wet/dry) Shop Vac for those tasks you listed, it pulls the water out of a toilet tank/bowl fast, and it does a good job cleaning up the job site too.
But maybe too big for your tote bag. Is this something you want to keep on the work truck or do you have a specific job in mind for it?

Reaction score
I don't have space in the van for even the smallest shop vac. I'd rather go back to my big grout sponges and a coffee mug from the client.

I've learned that I need any small bilge pump, and implies 12 volt since for marine use. The bilge pump can be submersed in the filthiest of stormy seawater collected in a boat, and needs only one exit tube, as it sucks from the pump itself.

The pump is about the size of a small potato, and any 12 volt wall wart adapter will do. The motor runs on DC, so even if it doesn't get enough voltage/amps, it just works proportionally slower.

Bilge pumps are impeller type pumps that can be dismantled for cleaning too. Diaphragm pumps can't be used for bilge water since that design has too many small paths and valves.

Sounds like a great backup to have for those that are paranoid about their home sump pump breaking during flash floods.
Seaflo-12V-500gph-Bilge-Pump.jpg

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks