Any advice on my dining room wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Hi,

Advice on here has been fantastic in the past and I would really appreciate some advice on what appears to be quite a serious problem. One of the walls in our dining room appears to be bowing somewhat. At least, I think that is the term for it. I have attached a photo of the problem. No other room in the house appears to have this problem. I only noticed it because I am a little OCD :) Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_5506.JPG
    IMG_5506.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 247

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there isn't a crack in the sheetrock, it has probably been like that since it was built. Maybe you just notice it for the first time and it is driving you crazy. No body else will even notice. I would just leave it as it is until it does crack or there is some other reason to tear it out.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Speaking of OCD, I can't look at the image any more. That crooked painting hurts!
It looks to me like something got stuck behind the drywall when it was being installed. Usually, for me, seeing a bump like that is followed by, "doh, there's an outlet box under there...".

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it gets worse, you will need to remove the drywall to find out why it's happening and to determine what to do.
Some people can live with this, others can't.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is quite a bow alright. Something is obviously causing it, but hard to say just by looking. Drywall repair isn't too big of a problem, the offending section would have to be removed, the cause of the bowing discovered and remedied, then a new piece of sheet rock cut to fit the space, nailed or screwed on, the edges of the patch taped and the whole wall painted. Would not take a pro very long to do the job. It is interesting that there is such a large bow and still there doesn't appear to be any cracks.

Atomic1

Reaction score
As-constructed condition unless there was some sort of prior repair there. Likely the studs were warped and the rough framers/drywallers were too lazy to shim out.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Time to cut sheetrock. Every homeowner should learn some sheetrockery cause nobody wants to drop by for a small fix. Too much trouble for too little return. It would be a nice retirement job for somebody.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Advice on here has been fantastic in the past and I would really appreciate some advice on what appears to be quite a serious problem. One of the walls in our dining room appears to be bowing somewhat. At least, I think that is the term for it. I have attached a photo of the problem. No other room in the house appears to have this problem. I only noticed it because I am a little OCD :) Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.
Maybe I'm the only one, but I can't really get oriented to this picture.
Can you maybe take another shot from a different angle?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So the bulge is in the far corner?

And what is the blurry white thing in the foreground?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, the wife went to visit her sister in South Dakota. Called me up and said she'd met someone and wasn't coming back. God, I'm going to miss that woman. Sniff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks