Advice on moving vanity to new wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Hello all,

My master bathroom needs re done. Previously it had a huge Jacuzzi tub that was used once in 3 years. I would like to remove and make the shower bigger. However to do this, the best way would be to switch the vanity to a different wall and turn the toilet. With previous setup, there is not much room to make shower bigger
shower too small.jpg
20160915_171951.jpg

If I turn toilet and move vanity I would like to achieve this:

new.jpg
new vanity.jpg

So my question is what would be the best way to get drain lines ran for the new vanity placement and could it be tied into the existing venting where current vanity is? Could I tie in drain to where existing tub drain is? I have included current layout of the plumbing

cureenty vanity.jpg
20170401_095957.jpg

The door will also have to move over right where the current vent line is but Id rather see what will need to be done for the new vanity first. Please let me know if I can include any more info. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. It may all be clear to others. But I can suggest some info that you could add to clarify.

1. Vents are of the essence. I can see from your photo that you have vents, but did not show venting in your diagram.

2. I think "existing" means that those things will not exist in your new setup. Does that mean that the things not labeled "existing" are existing and will stay as they are? Or does that mean that your drawing is showing things as you envision but they don't currently exist? So is it accurate to say that the vanity is the only pair of fixtures to be moved/added and the master tub is eliminated?

3. The existing vanity has dual bowls. Is that what the two vent lines above the vanity unit are servicing? I would think so. So you would be planning to tee off of the existing exposed vent, and running that over to the two new bowls, right

4. I infer that this floor is fairly easily accessible from beneath. Would that be the case?

So my question is what would be the best way to get drain lines ran for the new vanity placement and could it be tied into the existing venting where current vanity is? Could I tie in drain to where existing tub drain is? I have included current layout of the plumbing

This seems to support that plumbing second bathroom plumbing and the master shower are not being changed. The toilet in the main is not being changed. You are getting rid of the master tub. So you are wondering if the master toilet is being wet vented. It seems to me that you could keep the existing venting to the right sink bowl in place, replacing the sanitary tee with a coupling. That would maintain venting for the toilet.

The new vanity will need new vents. You could tie in the existing vents above the door, or you could bring the new vent from above.

Useful info Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org)

http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/d..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. It may all be clear to others. But I can suggest some info that you could add to clarify.

1. Vents are of the essence. I can see from your photo that you have vents, but did not show venting in your diagram.

Correct, the vent shown is for existing vanity, its also has a tie in from the basement bathroom. The other bathroom has its own vent

2. I think "existing" means that those things will not exist in your new setup. Does that mean that the things not labeled "existing" are existing and will stay as they are? Or does that mean that your drawing is showing things as you envision but they don't currently exist? So is it accurate to say that the vanity is the only pair of fixtures to be moved/added and the master tub is eliminated?

Correct, the only thing moving would be the vanity and tub will be eliminated. The current shower drain and toilet might move a few inches but nothing major

3. The existing vanity has dual bowls. Is that what the two vent lines above the vanity unit are servicing? I would think so. So you would be planning to tee off of the existing exposed vent, and running that over to the two new bowls, right

The other line shown teeing into this vent is from the basement bathroom. If possible I would like to tee into this vent from new vanity placement. It would have to go horizontal over the door then turn 90 to the wall for new vanity.

4. I infer that this floor is fairly easily accessible from beneath. Would that be the case?

Yes this is on the second floor and I have most of the drywall already ripped out on the main level to see how everything was run

This seems to support that plumbing second bathroom plumbing and the master shower are not being changed. The toilet in the main is not being changed. You are getting rid of the master tub. So you are wondering if the master toilet is being wet vented. It seems to me that you could keep the existing venting to the right sink bowl in place, replacing the sanitary tee with a coupling. That would maintain venting for the toilet.

The new vanity will need new vents. You could tie in the existing vents above the door, or you could bring the new vent from above.

Useful info Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org)
http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/d..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am having trouble determining the location and routing of the existing drains and vents, so it is hard to give advice as to where to run the new piping. The direction and accessibilty to the space between the framing members are running in the ceiling and floor is also useful when planning routing of the new installation. Working on a slab is not the same as working on a stick-frame with an accessible crawl space or basement.

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Cacher, would more pics or diagram help?

This is on the second floor rear of the house. I have access from first floor through ceiling. Joists run with what would be the direction of new vanity. The existing vanity you can see the vent which also has a tee in from the basement vanity. Please let me know what would help, pics, drawings, etc

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are on the second floor, the vents can go up and tie together in the wall or attic. All of the vents must be vertical until they are at least 42" above the floor.

The new vanity drain is going to have to penetrate floor joists to make it's way to it's destination, and you will have to take some careful measurements to see how to maintain pitch for the entire distance. The size of the joists will determine what if any changes are going to be required to the framing to maintain the structure.

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
This is what I was wondering would be ok for vent? And options for the drain?

vent.jpg

Its 4ft from wall where new vanity is to the existing tub drain.

This is a pic of the existing tub drain

tub drain.jpg

20170402_105423.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice pictures and mark-ups.

What are the two yellow lines to the right of the word "Joists"?

You will want to discuss what you will do with the existing vanity venting, which may be providing a vent to the toilet.

Do you intend to use a long sweep 90 under the door for the horizontal to horizontal turn? Those are always OK. A short sweep 90 is discussable I think.

You want to keep a 1/4 inch per foot slope on everything horizontal.

I don't know if you will need a cleanout for the new vanity. I am thinking you may.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent can run that way, but I would look at doing it in the attic instead of drilling all those holes.

The drain might not be quite so easy, as the tub drain is already quite high in the joist space, and it is not permitted to drill the joist in upper or lower 2".

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
@Reach4 the yellow lines are options to run drain for new vanity to connect.

@cacher_chick Thats what I was afraid of they are already about 2.5" from top of joist. So I would need to come up about 1" to the new vanity

Tim Rite

Reaction score
Definitely try going through the attic for vent. I've had horrific experiences when drilling multiple holes for a replacement project. Where is your project located?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks