PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

sjh

Reaction score
Second pin hole leak in galvanized water pipe in (4) months. House is (64) years old with (1) bathroom. When re-piping with PEX should it be main line and branch like the existing galvanized or should it be installed with a manifold and "home runs" to each fixture?

brb

Reaction score
I am remodeling a second floor bathroom and did sub manifolds for that bath only. It has worked out really well for me. Like everyone else recommended, whatever works best for you is the answer!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the ID of pex is smaller than the similarly sized copper (or galvanized, at least when it was new!). Because it can be installed with fewer fittings, those don't restrict flow as lots of them in rigid pipe unless you insist on making it look really neat with square corners and lots of fittings!

sjh

Reaction score
Got estimates and I think I am going to go with type L copper for the job. More $, but I am more comfortable going with the tried and true standard. Aluminum house wiring also sounded like a good idea at one time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, pex is not a new item...been around for decades, but was first used more extensively in Europe. It has its advantages and disadvantages, just like many things. Like anything, though, it requires proper installation and design to work well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks