Kitchen Sink Drain Basket keeps leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice. I helped someone install a new kitchen sink recently. It's a porcelain sink from Ikea. We used the Ikea drain basket and some non-staining putty to seal it. This person often leaves things soak in the sink overnight. A couple months after I installed, it stopped holding water, would drain down slowly. There'd still be water in the strainer, so it's not that leaking. So I removed the basket, re-did the putty and reinstalled. A few months later, they said it suddenly stopped holding water again. So, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this issue once and for all.

2 things I wonder about: The Ikea drain basket is held down a bit differently than others....It's got a screw in the center that holds the upper portion to the part underneath the sink. (Pic below) Is this maybe the culprit and I should install a different drain basket? If so, what brand would you suggest?

Non-staining putty: Has anyone ever seen an issue like this with it? Should I try/go back to standard putty?

Thanks!

-Nate

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
The putty seals the strainer body/assembly to the sink, so if it leaks the water ends up leaking onto the floor in the cabinet. If there is no external leak - just the stopper part doesn't keep the sink water full, how can the putty (or rubber seal) be the problem?
What am I not understanding here?

Sink strainer assembly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate R

Reaction score
The putty seals the strainer body/assembly to the sink, so if it leaks the water ends up leaking onto the floor in the cabinet. If there is no external leak - just the stopper part doesn't keep the sink water full, how can the putty (or rubber seal) be the problem?
What am I not understanding here?

If the putty leaks in this case, the water leaks through, the rubber gasket and plastic cone are WIDER than the hole, so they catch the water and it goes down the drain.

I usually use the supplied gasket, because the way it tightens down, it can squeeze all the putty out of the connection.

I didn't in this case, as the one Ikea supplies is thick. And when I've tried to use it, there's a gap between the sink and strainer when tightened down.

Halburton

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice. I helped someone install a new kitchen sink recently. It's a porcelain sink from Ikea. We used the Ikea drain basket and some non-staining putty to seal it. This person often leaves things soak in the sink overnight. A couple months after I installed, it stopped holding water, would drain down slowly. There'd still be water in the strainer, so it's not that leaking. So I removed the basket, re-did the putty and reinstalled. A few months later, they said it suddenly stopped holding water again. So, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this issue once and for all.

2 things I wonder about: The Ikea drain basket is held down a bit differently than others....It's got a screw in the center that holds the upper portion to the part underneath the sink. (Pic below) Is this maybe the culprit and I should install a different drain basket? If so, what brand would you suggest?

Non-staining putty: Has anyone ever seen an issue like this with it? Should I try/go back to standard putty?

Thanks!

-Nate

bg1.png
We are having the same issue. Did you ever find a resolution?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks