Water Softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

DuckyDucky

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have already large GAC filter, debating on water Softener... I m just concerned about chemical falout ...:)

Are they save ... all those resins make me think that they leach stuff back to water :), my water is not particularly hard but it would be nice to soften it.

Thx

blaze4545

Reaction score
I would be more worried about the GAC filter leeching stuff back into your water :p. Those filters can be a breeding ground for bacteria or can leech chlorine/chloramines back into your water if they are not changed often enough.

Are you municipal or a private water source? Assuming you are on municipal water, the biggest concern is the water softener resin used. A lot of the water softeners sold at big box stores like Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Home Depot etc, use low grade water softener resin. This resin cannot handle the increased chlorination and added ammonia injected into municipal water in order to sterilize it. These chemicals will slowly breakdown the low grade resin and dissolve it into a mush. Best case you will be unknowingly ingesting the resin if you drink/cook from your tap. Worst case, the resin makes it through your plumbing and clogs your fixtures.

Make sure you find a water softener which uses 10% crosslinked higher chemical tolerant water softener resin and do not fall for mixed-bed carbon systems which can potentially leech stuff back into your water.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
My main concern with carbon tanks is that much of the carbon used has not been tested properly. In our testing we have found that many carbon systems put in high levels of arsenic and other contaminants. I would highly recommend carbon that has proper documented certifications. Cocnut shell based tends to be more consistent.

As to the softener, the resin is plastic beads (divynilbenzene crosslinked polystyrene resin) but properly certified resin will minimize this potential problem. NSF and WQA both certify resin to specific standards. Stay away from the low end online companies or the companies that push knock-off equipment. If they are willing to save $20 by using a cheap valve, tank, components, you can imagine what they will use for their resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks