Need a new toilet, Eco Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hdmstng

Reaction score
Looking to replace our 1971 toilet and trying to determine what to get. My wife has a couple of requirements, it needs to be standard height, 15", a round bowl, and it must be a good flusher! The toilet we are replacing clogged a lot!

That leads me to the Eco Drake. There is a 1.28 and a 1.6 version. Is there a big performance difference between the two in terms of flushing?

Any other suggestions besides the Eco Drake (in the same price range)?

Also, in terms of color...we will be replacing the tub soon but not sure what manufacturer we are going to go with. It will be white and the vanity will be white as well (one of the bright whites from Ikea most likely). From what I have read the "Colonial White" is brighter than the "Cotton" white. Is there one that would be more neutral?

Thanks for the help!
HD

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There is no noticeable performance difference in the Original Drake between the 1.6 and the 1.28. Both now use the same bowl anyway; much of the reduction to 1.28 was in things like the size and depth of the water spot, which is moot since they now use the same bowl. The 1.28 works great. It evacuates the waste excellently, and the extra water now is just water down the drain.

We have a round, regular-height Original Drake. We love it, but if I had to do it over again, I would get the elongated. We also have an elongated original Drake, and it turns out that it's more comfortable for a guy and the difference in length wouldn't have been meaningful in the location we put the round. It seemed like it would, but now that we have both, I realize that it wouldn't. Just food for thought.

I would recommend the newer Entrada, which is also an excellent toilet, but it only comes in the higher height.

Dave is our resident Kohler fan. The toilet he linked you to is elongated and ADA height, so that doesn't do much for you.

Hdmstng

Reaction score
The Kohler would have been one of my first choices, but the standard height isn't an option. Maybe able to get my wife to go for an elongated as the more I think about it, the better it'll be, plus you can get the CEFIONTECT. Will need to research that some more. Good news is I found a local dealer, so can go and see them in person. Thanks again!

Did have one extra question, does the 1.6 clean better than the 1.28 version?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For standard height and good cleaning, think about the CST744SG-01
The Cotton White is the brightest white, and goes better with the Kohler white.
The CEFIONTECT Drake bowl is elongated, which is what we are currently selling more than 80%
We don't sell many round bowls anymore.
The 1.6", having more water for the flush does a little better, though if you do pick up the 1.28 tank, and you want more water, you can always hold the handle down and get close to 3 gallons.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
... the Eco Drake. There is a 1.28 and a 1.6 version. Is there a big performance difference between the two in terms of flushing?

How old is your house? If it was has 4" PVC pipe and the house sits higher than the road then the 1.28gpf should be fine. If the pipes are older and/or the house is level with the road then you may want the extra flush of the 1.6gpf. At least that's how I see it. I have both 1.28gpf (regular height) and 1.6gpf (ADA height) Drakes. In my house (4" PVC piped & house higher than street) there's little discernible difference in the flush.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you go to buy, the showrooms often charge much closer to the list price (high) than do most plumbing supply places (where the pros go). If you open the yellow pages and call around to five plumbing supply places, regardless of whether they say they sell Toto (as most can get it from their distributor) with the model number and color (cotton white) that you want, and tell them that you are ready to buy/order if the price is fair, you can usually get a good price. But call 5 since some will be high and some will be low, and some places will be jerks and some will be nice. Figure that $249 is a very fair price for the elongated Original Drake 1.28, CST744E, but your local supplier may sell it for up to $20 cheaper, and that would be a very good price.

Hdmstng

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, we picked up an elongated 1.6 gpf Drake in cotton. My wife seeing it flush thinks it'll clog easier, but two weeks and so far so good. Easy to install and I used a Danco Perfect Seal.

Do have a couple of minor issues. First the rough in is 12", but the tank is about 1.5" off the wall. Thought it would be closer.

Second, during the fill after the flush, you can hear the water sort of splatter into the fill tube. Everything is connected well, so not sure why the noise.

Overall though, we are happy with it.

Attachments

• 20151012_181742.jpg
    20151012_181742.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 20151012_181804.jpg
    20151012_181804.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 292

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
So glad you are happy with it.

The Drake does have a little more clearance behind the toilet than some. We're used to it now, so when I see other toilets pressing against the wall, they seem too tight. Sometimes in a room that's a little more acoustically-live than others you can hear that gurgling sound on refill. We have Drakes in two different rooms and you can hear it more in one than the other.

The Drake has an amazingly-effective flush. You are unlikely to clog it. One review I read that I love was from a guy whose wife bought him a Toto Drake for his birthday to replace the horrible low-flow they had there before. His wife may have regretted it a bit, because after every flush he was so delighted that he kept yelling "TOTO!!!!!" as all the stuff got slurped up.

Here's a video of a Drake doing its thing:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, we picked up an elongated 1.6 gpf Drake in cotton. My wife seeing it flush thinks it'll clog easier, but two weeks and so far so good. Easy to install and I used a Danco Perfect Seal.

Do have a couple of minor issues. First the rough in is 12", but the tank is about 1.5" off the wall. Thought it would be closer.

Second, during the fill after the flush, you can hear the water sort of splatter into the fill tube. Everything is connected well, so not sure why the noise.

Overall though, we are happy with it.
The "splatter" noise you describe is not uncommon, regardless of the brand. You can tweak it some to make the noise less noticeable. While the tank is refilling, adjust the refill hose where it connects to the overflow tube on the flush valve.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Expecting a couple CST744EL 1.28gpf Eco Drakes next week, replacing two 3.0gpf vintage Kohler & American Standard models. Never a problem flushing, but agonizing (since being brainwashed by eco-nazis) watching all that water swirling and going down the drain, the septic tank groaning, and the loooong refill. I had two Drakes in the previous house, never disappointed at 1.6gpf, we'll see how they do with 5 cups less water pf.

But I can expect big savings, right? We're charged by the cubic foot (ft3) here, for some strange reason. I'm estimating we'll save ~5022 gpy, or 671 ft3. It's a tiered system, with rates from $1.15 to $5.25 per 100 ft3 per 2-month billing cycle. So, depending on which tier we're reducing, we'll save from $8 to $35 per year. Because of the 2-month billing cycle, you get pushed into higher tiers. Our historical consumption has been 102gpd, so our 2-month usage will be around 830 ft3, putting us in Tier 1 at the margin, so we'll save a little under $8, giving a payback of around 75 years for the 2 toilets. I hope my figures are wrong.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm estimating we'll save ~5022 gpy, or 671 ft3. It's a tiered system, with rates from $1.15 to $5.25 per 100 ft3 per 2-month billing cycle. So, depending on which tier we're reducing, we'll save from $8 to $35 per year. Because of the 2-month billing cycle, you get pushed into higher tiers.
Are you including the portion of the sewer charge that is based on water use also?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If nothing else, you will get a quicker refill.
I remember doing a repipe for a home with back to back bathrooms that had been plumbed in galvanized. It took forever for the toilets to refill, and the lady would have bridge parties and at the break there had been a long line up for the bathrooms because of that. Pulling out old galvy and replacing the pipes was always one of those things in plumbing that made the customers go Ah!!! Always a big improvement.
I'm guessing that the Drakes will be sort of like that.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Expecting a couple CST744EL 1.28gpf Eco Drakes next week, replacing two 3.0gpf vintage Kohler & American Standard models.

But I can expect big savings, right?

At minimum you should save 50%, but realistically, expect 70%. As far as clogging goes, it will probably depend on the toilet paper. Never use the silky toilet paper. Since you're septic you already know not to flush baby diapers...

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
back to back bathrooms
Our new Eco Drakes arrived yesterday, so I thought I'd put them in tomorrow while waiting for the turkey to roast. There might be a double sanitary tee in there that the new Drakes won't like, according to the installation manual. (Home was built in the '90s.) I think I can probably tell what I've got, but if I have to replace it with a double combo wye, this job takes on a whole new character. Just how important is that?

I think I've found some answers/opinions in other threads, complete with a basic test (https://terrylove.com/forums/index....k-installation-please-help.59846/#post-455755). We shall see. Worst case, I could probably replace the tank and accept the increased water use. Actually, the real worst case is I could replace the tee with the correct wye. Have to check access issue tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks