Is this dwv config ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sydflash

Reaction score
Humbly, I would like some opinions on whether this shower drain configuration is ok?

1.jpg
2.jpg

Sydflash

Reaction score
Sorry, I should elaborate on my concern... mind melted last night trying to figure out horizontal vents.

So, this is a shower in an addition that has remained unfinished for way too long.

The vent was in a shower wall but the studs bowed and twisted so bad I decided to take it out and build a new one.

So, as I am re-remodeling, the dimensions of the shower changed and the current drain location will not do - and I had it way to close to the wall anyhow.

I want to keep the same basic configuration but move the drain about 16" closer to where it heads to the basement.

In looking into if this was okay - I was worried about creating an "s" trap - I started to question the entire set up.

Every configuration I could find used a single vertical pipe that was both the vent and the drain, and the few sources discussing a set up like mine seemed to suggest it was not good but I couldn't find anything definitive.

So I am concerned there could be something wrong with having the vent on the other side of the drain - hoping that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE would have to know the configuration of the shower, and the location of the walls to advise about the vent. i would NEVER use a "union joint" "P" trap under the floor.

Sydflash

Reaction score
Basically there will be a wall where the vent goes up. I'd like to keep the vent where it is. I am limited to using the joist bay in the picture.

Also, I can't really move where the drain goes down into the wall below because of things in the basement that would be in the way.

Thanks for the advice on the P trap! I'll look into getting a solvent weld one. I do like the wiggle room of the union joint tho.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent needs to be downstream of the drain connection. No part of a dry vent can be horizontal below the fixture.

Sydflash

Reaction score
Thanks Cacher! Can anyone point me to more info on this? What is used to determine the height of the fixture? Is it the height of the drain?

Sydflash

Reaction score
Is the issue that something could get stuck in the dry portion of the vent? In that case would adding an accessible clean-out change things?

Sydflash

Reaction score
kinda stuck here... anyone help? Did a lot of research and still don't get it, and the code is clear as mud. Anyone have the commentary on this type of horizontal dry drain?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know enough to advise you further. Two things do come to mind though. On two inch pipe, your vent must be within five feet, and MA does not allow anyone but a licensed plumber to do this work, even in your own home. You can get into all sorts of hassles doing it yourself. The plumber would know what was required and how to do it .

Sydflash

Reaction score
sorry, it's a summer home in NH, under 2009 IPC. Wish I could get a look at the commentary. Really bothers me that it's not available as a public resource.

Last edited:

Sydflash

Reaction score
Thanks Jadziedzic - I have the code but seems like the version with the commentary is much more enlightening, and unavailable.

Also seems like if the vent plugging up is the concern then a clean out would do the trick.

Does it matter that a blockage in the vent would only effect this drain as it is the only fixture on it?

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Alright. I'll try to help you. It's unbelievably easy.

First if all, the "invert" (interior bottom surface of a pipe) of the vent connection must be above the centerline of the drainage pipe to which it is connected. What this means is that your piping is all wrong.

Cut two inches upstream of the galvanized strap and throw all the piping away. Install a 2x1&1/2 PVC wye first, beginning where you cut. The branch of the wye, the 1&1/2 part, must be rolled up high, upper quadrant, because the vent is going to go over the top of the two inch drain pipe you're about to install.

Forget the vent for now. Install a short piece of two inch pipe into your wye to get you back to your original angle serving your p-trap created by using a two inch 45. Then a short piece of pipe over to your new glue joint adjustable p- trap, centered on your shower drain centerline.

Now your vent. Install an 1&1/2 street 45 into your wye branch aiming towards your vent wall. Your vent will cross over the top of your drain passing right by your shower drain riser and roll up in the same spot it is now or close.

One more thing. Your vent 90 rolling up in the wall, horizontal to vertical, must be an 1&1/2 LT 90. ( Long turn) because it is below flood rim.

Clear as mud. If anyone out there understands this and can help with an illustration...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks