Double Sink and Disposer Drain Location

Users who are viewing this thread

jok

Reaction score
Hoping someone here can save the day again. We installed a new double sink with our new cabinets/counters. I knew I'd have some plumbing to reconfigure, as the existing sink was a single basin. What I did not account for was that the new sink drains are set further toward the back of the sink basins. With the disposer in place, it's very tight to the existing drain at the wall, which is unfortunately on the opposite side of the cabinet from where I'd like it. There’s about 5” between the edge of the disposer and the wall. I need to either sneak my new trap arm behind the disposer to hit the existing sanitary tee at the wall (with a 90-deg elbow tight to the wall), or I need to tear up the drywall and redo the plumbing in the wall. The first option could be done, but I'm concerned about clogging the 90-deg elbow. The second option will require drywall work and would require a whole bunch of messy fittings in a tight space. Once version of the second option could be to cut out the sanitary tee and replace it with a new sanitary tee that is rolled so it exits the wall at a 45 toward the p-trap. (Unfortunately, just sticking a 45-deg elbow on the existing pipe leaving the wall will not clear the disposer. Tried that.) See photos. Other suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the santee in the wall is pointing out, you can use a 90.
The disposer is supposed to chip the food into small bits. I hope you went with a new one while you were at it. Ten years is the max I will use a disposer for.

jok

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. Yes, new disposer. I was super excited about it, too, until I read last night some of the comments on this forum about Waste King. Hoping for the best, though.

I had another idea last night after posting... If I flip the dual drain/disposer so that the tee is on the disposer side instead of the other side (which I saw you posted an example of previously), that would put the p-trap on the disposer side which gives me more flexibility to get around the disposer and into the sanitary tee in the wall. Would that be preferable to adding a 90-deg elbow, or am I worrying too much about the elbow? And, should it be a sweep elbow, or is a standard fine?

Finally got the photos small enough to work. See attached. The red markup would be if I used the 90-deg elbow at the santee.

Attachments

• IMG_2137.pdf
    129.9 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2136.pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2135.pdf
    125.5 KB · Views: 236

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have a tool that allows me to cut the pipe out of a fitting. A street medium 90 could then be glued into that fitting. I would put the baffle tee on the far sink with p-trap below that.

Though you can also put the tee to the left of the disposer and then pick up the far sink. Isn't plumbing wonderful? So many options.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think most people put the disposal on the shallow bowl of the sink, although you can do the way you prefer, of course. Fortunately your sanitary tee is low enough to go either way.

On a different note, I see that http://www.waste-king.com/ uses the term disposal 11 times and disposer 27 times.

Last edited:

jok

Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for your help. Unfortunately, this project keeps throwing me curve balls. Turns out I should have moved the santee a few inches lower because I don't have enough height to get all these fittings lined up. The only out I see is to use a center outlet tee. Anything inherently wrong with this in a garbage disposal application?

jok

Reaction score
Nevermind. Got it all worked out. See below. Thanks again for the help.

image.jpeg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nevermind. Got it all worked out. See below. Thanks again for the help.

View attachment 35458

Only one thing to improve:
The dishwater discharge which goes into the GD: I would run the discharge tube up to an airgap ($5) mounted on top of the counter top, then have a GD hose down to the disposer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks