Noise from pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Irish Mtn

Reaction score
I just installed an entirely new cistern-fed 40/60 system and immediately have a cavitation noise, which gets louder when the pressure builds past 55psi. The fill cuts off at 59psi, but drops a point or two after. The tank refill takes 40 seconds, which is faster than I'd like. Video is posted here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlrrq01sg8cikt9/well tank noise.wmv?dl=0

Examples from other posts suggest a defective diaphragm, but the pre-charge at 38psi checks out OK and it holds. It's a Flexcon WWT35 (33gal) which is under warranty, but before contacting them is there anything else it could be?

Cistern pump is a sleeved Grundfos 10S05-6 located 80' away from house with 1" poly pipe. Perhaps a 10gpm dole valve should be added? Drop down to 30/50?

Irish Mtn

Reaction score
I see. So check valve at the tee is unnecessary because there is a check valve in the pump?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is done both ways. Many people instal them at the tank without a problem. I don't know why it would be chattering. It may be oversized, or damaged? Maybe sombody else will know.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your dropbox link asks for a sign-in.

I would remove the check valve at the pressure tank tee, or remove its insides.

Irish Mtn

Reaction score
Dropbox asks for sign in, but you don't have to do it. Just click the X in the top right corner. I will remove the checkvalve. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks