How to make an in-between length of brass nipple?

Users who are viewing this thread

JCH

Reaction score
Just finished tiling a new shower/tub.

Having a hard time finding a brass nipple the right length for the shower arm and tub spout installation.

A 2-1/2" x 1/2" brass nipple is too long (and leaves them about 1/4" from the wall.

I'm assuming that the next length down (2" x 1/2") will leak inside the wall because the threads won't bottom. I haven't found any 2-1/4" x 1/2" nipples online nor intown.

If I cut the nipple shorter, I'm assuming that the tapered thread would prevent it from screwing in any further, still leaving me with a 1/4" gap.

How do you pros handle needing these intermediate nipple lengths? Cut and then rethread yourself? I'm hoping there's a better DIY way....

Thanks!
.../j

JCH

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll go get a couple of 2" brass nipple and see whether I can make it work with a combination of teflon tape and the canned sealant I was using before. Gotta remember to be gentle gentle gentle. Wish me luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you feel uneasy with the 2 inch nipple, and you don't think you could get 3 or 4 more turns on the 2-1/2 inch long nipple with force, get a 1/2-14 NPT die and cut down a 2-1/2 inch nipple. Click Inbox for an example.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
What also might work - get two 1/2" NPT-to-Copper pipe fittings then solder in the proper length of copper pipe to give you the end to end distance you need.

Attachments

• wp4-08-9.jpg
    wp4-08-9.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 561

Asktom

Reaction score
For a tub spout, particularly if it is not a diverter spout, if you can find a trashed lavatory or kitchen faucet that has a brass all-thread shank, you can cut off the shank to the length you need and use that. True, it is a straight thread going into a tapered fitting, but, if it is a nondiverter spout that makes no difference. If it is a diverter spout it won't leak unless it is cut too short.

I can't picture needing a nipple for a shower arm.

JCH

Reaction score
It's a Brizo (i.e. fancy Delta) shower valve set (RSVP). The spout has a diverter and the shower arm uses a brass thread-on adapter with double O-Rings on the outside that the shower arm slides over.

JCH

Reaction score
Local plumbing shop doesn't carry 1/2" NPT-to-Copper pipe fittings (for soldering my own nipple), so instead I tried using a 2" nipple with 10 wraps of teflon tape on each end.

I mounted the spout and shower arm and it seems okay. Not sure how I'll spot slow drips inside the wet wall though....

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can shorten the nipple by cutting off the extra length with a hack saw. Just drop the blade into the threads and saw it off evenly. Then take a 1/2 iron pipe die and start working the threads back. Screw it on gradually then back repeatedly as you go to clear the chips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks