Protecting a 66" tub during construction

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
Hi there.

I will start the bathroom remodel on Monday. Part of the project is replacing the 66" mustard yellow tub. I have seen many cardboard and plastic liners to protect tubs during construction, but none for our 66" size. Does anyone know of a liner or product I can use to protect it while the work is being done?

Thanks

Dan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think I'd try putting some padding on the top rim, then a 3/4" piece of plywood down over it as a lid. It might make a decent raised bench for storage during construction. TO protect the apron, you could also run a piece down to the floor over it with some appropriate brackets to hold it all together. That sheet wouldn't need to be as thick, since you wouldn't be able to stand on it or load it up...it would just be for impact protection.

lanachurner

Reaction score
I think I'd try putting some padding on the top rim, then a 3/4" piece of plywood down over it as a lid. It might make a decent raised bench for storage during construction. TO protect the apron, you could also run a piece down to the floor over it with some appropriate brackets to hold it all together. That sheet wouldn't need to be as thick, since you wouldn't be able to stand on it or load it up...it would just be for impact protection.

I agree.
Since you install the tub first and then install your tile board and sheetrock around it afterwards it is easy to drop a tool or some such and damage the tub while you are working on it.
I use a 3/4" piece of plywood as a tub cover. Makes a good bench for setting your tools on, standing on to do your mudding and a bench to set the wet saw on while tiling. Cut it about 2" shorter than the rough in dimention ( in your case 64") and you can do the whole job with it on.
A piece of 3/4" OSB is only about $15 and places like Home Despot will cut it to size for for free.

DanM

Reaction score
I agree.
Since you install the tub first and then install your tile board and sheetrock around it afterwards it is easy to drop a tool or some such and damage the tub while you are working on it.
I use a 3/4" piece of plywood as a tub cover. Makes a good bench for setting your tools on, standing on to do your mudding and a bench to set the wet saw on while tiling. Cut it about 2" shorter than the rough in dimention ( in your case 64") and you can do the whole job with it on.
A piece of 3/4" OSB is only about $15 and places like Home Despot will cut it to size for for free.

Thanks for the advice. I have a sheet of OSB sitting in the garage that I might use. Right now it is covered by an old sleeping bag and cardboard from the box. Both are duct taped to the studs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks