Best soffit vent w/ anti-backdraft, for bathroom vent fan?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
The fans in the bathrooms are breaking down so time to replace them & also vent them to the outside. Don't want winter wind to suck open the flapper and pull warm air out of the house.

lanachurner

Reaction score
There should be a flapper in the adapter where the air exits the fan bousing.
There should be another flapper in the vent where the air exits the house - either wall or roof .
There won't be much heat loss if you have both.
Not sure what you mean breaking down.
If you are satisfied with your existing fans but the motor is wearing out or getting noisy you can usually oil the bearings in the motor and get a bunch more years out of one.
Otherwise you can usually buy a new motor that fits. Bring your old one to your local Grainger store and have them match it up.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

AcidWater

Reaction score
The backdraft damper is a good idea. I'll probably need a short length of flex hose to get everything lined up. Those inline fans are as expensive as a whole new fan/light assembly !

I don't want the damper on the soffet vent itself; wind can pull it open and suck the hot air out of the house. Also bugs etc can block it easier than something deep in the system.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Did someone mention fans?

m-monroe.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't like to vent a bathroom through a soffit...hot/moist air will want to rise, and depending on where you live, condense on the horizontal surface, and if the soffit is venting the roof, come back inside and condense there as well. They work better through a sidewall or up through the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks